Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Custom spring guides

Guides

A guy up our club has a reduced tune on a tx and that kept braking the guides he had a steel one made up and no problems as yet

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by gunstock View Post
    A guy up our club has a reduced tune on a tx and that kept braking the guides he had a steel one made up and no problems as yet
    was it a skirtless piston ?

I strongly disklike skirtless pistons as they place too much reliance on the guide for alignment.. a skirted piston is much more stable, and also supports the spring better.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Guides

Yes it was a skirtless piston,

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    was it a skirtless piston ?

I strongly disklike skirtless pistons as they place too much reliance on the guide for alignment.. a skirted piston is much more stable, and also supports the spring better.
    I knew there was something amiss about them, because why would manufacturers bother if they could get away with the bicycle pump arrangement? Thanks for confirming my prejudice.

Guides

I heard the person who made the kit are now doing skirted ones.

Two piece guides

What is the science behind a two piece guide being better than a one piece, no heckling boys serious answers please go easy on me

What is the science behind a two piece guide being better than a one piece, no heckling boys serious answers please go easy on me
    The two piece allows a degree of flexibility between the guide and the rear retaining washer , that can compensate for some of the run out or misalignment in the piston rod , reducing the possibility of a breakage, but only if it's been designed and made correctly.
    Last edited by T 20; 03-12-2023 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Quote sorted

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I heard the person who made the kit are now doing skirted ones.
    better late than never
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Whilst I agree that a two piece guide has less waste in manufacture I do think they require more precision in manufacturing with the two tapers
    and achieving a flush fit at the base. I always have 1 piece guides and never had one break yet though my guns perhaps don't get as much use as some. I always ensure there is as big a radius as possible between the base and the stem plus always have a thrust washer on the base as well as in front of the top hat. None of my guns have shirtless pistons either
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Were there also not a few mentions years ago of some people boiling their one-piece synthetic guides in an effort to strengthen them (through tempering)?
    Last edited by TonyL; 04-12-2023 at 05:54 AM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Check out post 14.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Were there also not a few mentions years ago of some people boiling their one-piece synthetic guides in an effort to strengthen them (through tempering)?
    John Bowkett once wrote that he boiled his guides in water for about an hour to stress relieve them, Tone.

All the best Mick

A few years ago I experimented with delrin on a small hobby lathe. Cheap & quick. Not very acurate but a fun way to learn things. I much prefered Venom metal guides in my HW80's. I think many hobby tinkering efforts were made easy simply due to hobby lathes & delrin being cheap & easy to work with. As with everything, for anything to be of real value, quality leads & everything else simply makes a cheap substandard copy with artistic licence & clever marketing to seem a better deal
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    That would really make them ‘boingers’ as Tony affectionately calls springers…
    I can't actually take the credit for the "Boinger" nemenclature though, Al. In 2013 we had our "Spring Gun Gathering". Then, in early 2014 I was re-acquainted with my good friend, and fine all-round chap (but PCP loving ), Graham Henderson. He referred to our beloved springers as "Boingers". The term stuck, and the name "The Boinger Bash" had a lovely ring to it, so it's stuck for years.

BOING!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    John Bowkett once wrote that he boiled his guides in water for about an hour to stress relieve them, Tone.

All the best Mick
    Cheers, Mick.