Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom spring guides

Custom spring guides

Why do people make plastic spring guides in one piece when it is a poor design prone to snapping at the corner due to localised stress when a two piece guide with a countersunk head and base washer will not localise the stress and last longer also a lot less waste turning a 18mm bar down than 25-30mm bar down .

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    Why do people make plastic spring guides in one piece when it is a poor design prone to snapping at the corner due to localised stress when a two piece guide with a countersunk head and base washer will not localise the stress and last longer also a lot less waste turning a 18mm bar down than 25-30mm bar down .
    Because they don't know what they are doing. They are ignorant engineers - ignoreers if you like - who have persisted in making these fragile abominations for decades, and inspite of them cracking and breaking up in their guns in the middle of competitions, just doggedly stick to their idea that it's a good material. Some manufacturers have caught the disease, or make the plastic ones to please their brainless customers who cry out for it.

A bunch of stubborn idiots I'd say, too proud to learn and too unimaginative to try something new themselves.

Try some British steel or British brass and they would see the light.

But as they say, you can't fix stupid.

Well, I use 18-20mm round bar to make most of my spring guides. As you say, the HW flange is less prone to break than some others.
    Too many airguns!

As long as you make the union of the two with a taper fit and not a flange fit it will perform far better whatever you choose to make the spring guide from but some folk don't know that and I am trying to help make a better item for the job in hand .

As long as you make the union of the two with a taper fit and not a flange fit it will perform far better whatever you choose to make the spring guide from but some folk don't know that and I am trying to help make a better item for the job in hand .
    So we need to make them just like Weihrauch already do ?

All the best Mick

In the old days they were a rolled tube split like a windmill for the flange , but the point is people still make them with a flange when they should use a countersunk head and once everybody knows and try it out for themselves they will see the light and the springer world will be a better place.

Unknown to me but as T20 pointed it out that WEIHRAUCH now use a countersunk head on their spring guide I could not get a bigger or better endorsement for saying a countersunk head is the way forward and folk can now copy a WEIHRAUCH one not some bloke who's not in the gang .

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Unknown to me but as T20 pointed it out that WEIHRAUCH now use a countersunk head on their spring guide I could not get a bigger or better endorsement for saying a countersunk head is the way forward and folk can now copy a WEIHRAUCH one not some bloke who's not in the gang .
    Try one of tinbum’s kits, they don’t have countersunk heads and are made of plastic. I slung out my Weihrauch one and replaced it with a well fitting guide from this source and I suggest you do as well because they’re brilliant.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I've been using Welsh Willy kits for years, never had a problem and they are superb.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Same here Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Try one of tinbum’s kits, they don’t have countersunk heads and are made of plastic. I slung out my Weihrauch one and replaced it with a well fitting guide from this source and I suggest you do as well because they’re brilliant.
    As far as I'm aware, Nick's guides are also now a two-piece item, as opposed to the one-piece version previously supplied?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    So we need to make them just like Weihrauch already do ?

All the best Mick
    And a good guide it is, too. No need to substitute unless a better guide-to-spring fit is required.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    And a good guide it is, too. No need to substitute unless a better guide-to-spring fit is required.
    Which is why you need a new guide
    However, some aftermarket springs can fit OK on the OEM HW guides.
    Too many airguns!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    As far as I'm aware, Nick's guides are also now a two-piece item, as opposed to the one-piece version previously supplied?
    Yes, for the last seven years I think? One piece are ok, but are more prone to breaking, around 1-3% failure rate in our case. This was fine in the early days when we were only doing 100 or so kits a month, but now replacing 3% would be a nightmare to organize. The two piece guide has a very low failure rate, certainly sub 0.5%. most months we don’t see one.

If you watch the “What is a TbT kit” video on our website it goes into a little detail as to why this is.
    Better to admit you walked through the wrong door than spend your life in the wrong room

Guides

None of my venom or vmach guides have broke. Some of my of venom ones are 40 years old..maybe cause they are made of steel..just saying. Mach 1.5