Thread: Springer heavy pellets?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Springer heavy pellets?

I’ve recently bought a BSA super sport SE in .177, I’m using RWS superfields and have loads of AADF for when I’ve bedded the gun in with the superfields but I also have some JSB heavy’s that I have no use for as I’ve sold my PCP..

Would using JSB heavy in a sub 12 springer cause any issues or is it unadvisable?

Any opinions appreciated

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    not likely to be a great idea..

,177 already causes high pressure in springers (.20 is better ). A heavier pellet will cause even higher pressures, although the JSB is somewhat soft lead which helps with start pressures.. but still..

High pressure means the piston bounces sooner in the firing stroke, reducing efficiency.

No harm trying a few to see how they shoot (and chrono), but I'd set your expectations low.

You can always sell the JSB heavies
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I'd think things like the 9.5 ish Barracuda light types would be top end heavy for a typical springer such as you describe.

I'd also imagine bog standard 8.3 - 8.6 to be the optimum in terms of accuracy and energy most likely in your rifle

RWS, H&N, JSB, usual suspects, maybe a Bisley branded H&N of some type might be a good fit too .
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Appreciate those comments above. But I'd always go for accuracy first. So if the best groups came from a heavy pellet and the firing cycle is acceptable, I'd have no issues using them.

I remember once at a previous Boinger Bash......very windy conditions, .177 JSB Heavy in various springers being shot by our very good friend, Rickenbacker, and I. Those pellets were far more predictable, suffered less wind drift and were very, very accurate versus lighter JSB offerings.

Yes, normally, I'd use something in the 7.9 to 8.7 range, but wouldn't discount the heavier ones. Also had excellent results many years ago with the old Silhouette and, more recently, Baracuda FT. Both circa 9.5gr.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Not sure with a Supersport but have been getting excellent group with QYS Streamlined Heavy .177 9.56g in a few springers

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    High pressure means the piston bounces sooner in the firing stroke, reducing efficiency.
    I thought pistons bounced once they had reached the end of their travel and hit the "stop" so to speak? Surely only a low powered poorly sprung rifle would suffer in this way?

Genuine query BTW
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Thanks for all your replies.. the main issue for me is will it damage the gun?

I don’t plan on buying anymore heavy’s but I’m happy to use them up on spinners and the like as long as it won’t wreck the gun

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenratter View Post
    Thanks for all your replies.. the main issue for me is will it damage the gun?

I don’t plan on buying anymore heavy’s but I’m happy to use them up on spinners and the like as long as it won’t wreck the gun
    The super sports are a bit oversprung in 177 imo

In my first post, that's why I recommended medium pellets in that rifle. It won't knacker it, but heavy pellets in that rifle won't do it any favours either. If you want your spring / seal to last the longest, just shoot medium pellets in it.

I'd sell the heavy pellets which are popular. With luck it'll shoot Superdome well, they often go well in 177 BSA barrels, and are cheaper than most quality pellets
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    I thought pistons bounced once they had reached the end of their travel and hit the "stop" so to speak? Surely only a low powered poorly sprung rifle would suffer in this way?

Genuine query BTW
    not at all... bounce is anywhere towards the end of the stroke, but never AT the end... anythere from 20mm to 5mm from the end of the stroke normally.
    Have a look at the FWB sport slo-mo video for a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4TO3M_OS7Y

HTH - JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones

Genuine query BTW
    That’s slam.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Thanks guys, I'm still none the wiser though, I could not really see what was happening in the video as it's just a spring moving? Any chance of a brief explanation in layman's terms?
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

I'm stuck in the 60/70's. Back then I just bought & used what the local hardware store or fishing tackle shop had is stock, Wasps or Marksman if memory serves me correctly. Its all rocket science now. I've never realy took any notice of weight, I just use the most accurate. We realy are spoilt for choice no wonder the most common question is what pellet ?
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Thanks guys, I'm still none the wiser though, I could not really see what was happening in the video as it's just a spring moving? Any chance of a brief explanation in layman's terms?
    watch the back of the piston.. you see it accelerate, stop, bounce backwards, and the go further forwards than where it originally bounced from, to it's end of stroke resting place.

My take on it is this. Generally, when you use a heavier or indeed a tighter fitting pellet in a springer the piston comes up against more air resistance earlier in its stroke because the pellet hasn't started to move causing it to change direction sooner and not allowing as much of its energy to be transferred to the pellet. This means there is more energy to fuel the bounce which can be felt when firing. So usually lower power and more unpleasantness on firing with heavy or tight pellets. Some people term the fact the the piston is travelling in the opposite direction as 'surge' I had a standard tx200 that did high 11's with AADF and shot with no twang but when fed superdomes only did high 9's and twanged loudly. So even though the pellets were of a similar weight the tight fit of the domes caused excessive bounce and made the spring resonate much more.
    Hope this makes sense for you.

Regards Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer