Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Springer heavy pellets?

Agree, Max.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

I've tried heavy pellets in my LGU and I've noticed that it feels that it recoils more than 7.9's or 8.4's. A lot of shooters in Germany use jsb heavies with good results but I didn't like them.

I asked Lyn Lewington to set up my 97 for 10.3s when I had it glided back in 2013. He didn't say anything about it not being a good idea and I found it shot brilliantly until I ran out of 10.3 a couple of years ago and switched to a pile of 7.9s I had and I found it shot brilliantly. Now I'm on H&N FTT and I find it shoots........yeah you guessed it; brilliantly!

Not always so in competition but in practice on the FT course it's awesome so I'm blaming the squidgy bit behind the gun for the poor showing under pressure
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Quote Originally Posted by bootneckbob View Post
    I asked Lyn Lewington to set up my 97 for 10.3s when I had it glided back in 2013. He didn't say anything about it not being a good idea and I found it shot brilliantly until I ran out of 10.3 a couple of years ago and switched to a pile of 7.9s I had and I found it shot brilliantly. Now I'm on H&N FTT and I find it shoots........yeah you guessed it; brilliantly!

Not always so in competition but in practice on the FT course it's awesome so I'm blaming the squidgy bit behind the gun for the poor showing under pressure
    I've been using 10.3s in my full length 77 for years as I've found them faultless on vermin. I haven't been able to source any this past while and was not looking forward to changing to lighter pellets, but this thread gives me hope, I definitely won't find a more accurate pellet but maybe it'll be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneckbob View Post

Big internal capacity rifles (especially those suited for fac power / non uk markets) can pretty much take a spring size that can handle heavy pellets, handle as in the spring itself is not so limited physically by the internal dimensions of the gun

I wouldn't recommend shooting heavy pellets in a 'little' super sport or similar, if you want to have your 'big' AA / HW underlever or full size BB set up with a suitable spring that's different

Using heavy pellets in smaller internal rifles, just tends to wear out spring and seal faster, drop power, over time, non of which matters if you can service your rifle yourself and don't mind buying new parts more often, or happy to pay a gunsmith more often than if using more suitable pellets , like medium

If you don't shoot that much, or have several rifles, you may not even notice what happens shooting heavy pellets in 'smaller' springers..
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
    I'm stuck in the 60/70's. Back then I just bought & used what the local hardware store or fishing tackle shop had is stock, Wasps or Marksman if memory serves me correctly. Its all rocket science now. I've never realy took any notice of weight, I just use the most accurate. We realy are spoilt for choice no wonder the most common question is what pellet ?
    Tend to agree. So what happens if you have a gun that where you can swap barrels in different calibres ie Webley service Mk 2 that has .177 .22 and .25 each pellet heavy than the next one. Never heard of heavy or light pellets buggering up a gun but i can tell you what does knacker a gun up is people firing guns with no pellets, some with the cocking lever or barrel down, guns fired with nails and other rubbish, remains found in the cylinder. These guns when rectified still carry on as perfectly good shooters. I think most guns will withstand most abuse, personally i think people are being too technical about pellet weight damaging guns, and should look at the target and not the bottom of the gun and stare at the piston bouncing back. If a heavy pellet is more accurate than a light pellet i will use it, accuracy is the most important factor. Your gun wont be damaged in any way because of pellet weight, the manufactures have taken that into consideration and do you see a warning by them not to use heavy pellets from the gun manufacture or on the pellet tin.

Quote Originally Posted by Retnuhtibbar View Post
    I've been using 10.3s in my full length 77 for years as I've found them faultless on vermin. I haven't been able to source any this past while and was not looking forward to changing to lighter pellets, but this thread gives me hope, I definitely won't find a more accurate pellet but maybe it'll be OK.
    All the HW springers that I've tried the FTT in (in .177 and .22) absolutely love this pellet. The new Baracuda 8 is well liked, too. The other one well worth trying is the Baracuda FT....roughly in the middle (considering 8.4s and 10.5-ish "heavy") for weight, at 9.57. I've only tried them in one of my 95s so far and it loves them. And they're really popular in the BR world. The good old H&N Silhouette was used successfully for years around the mid-80s, people like Dave Welham and Jim Tyler (then of Sporting Air Rifle fame) bringing it to our attention, and weighing in at the same weight as the Baracuda FT, nominally.
    Last edited by TonyL; 04-12-2023 at 07:11 AM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!