Thread: How do you grade Collectable airguns?

How do you grade Collectable airguns?

How do you grade Collectable airguns? By what standards?

Randall

https://postimg.cc/SnCfX7Pw/afc0b726

https://postimg.cc/ftr87WfF/a077a7c1

Last edited by Re01312; 16-01-2024 at 11:51 PM.

Not an easy question to answer as much is subjective, such as overuse of the word 'mint'.

I've known people describe a refinished collectable as 'mint', which clearly it can never be or 'nearly Mint', which again there is no such thing.

To me, 'Mint' is brand new or in the case of a collectable, new old stock with no age related wear.

When it comes to considering an item that is for sale, one of the advantages of modern technology is the ability to provide clear pictures of said item, which can describe it better than the seller in some instances.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Interesting in buying I really don’t “grade” my airguns as I purchase them. I always go for excellent original condition. Something I really don’t grade but I know it when I see it. Even some ware can make the gun interesting? Only too grades for me, yes I want that and no that is just too much ware?

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    When it comes to considering an item that is for sale, one of the advantages of modern technology is the ability to provide clear pictures of said item, which can describe it better than the seller in some instances.
    I agree with this. Rather than put a subjective grade on it, best to supply plenty of sharp, detailed pics and let the viewer decide on the grade.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    This has been done to death in the General section when descriptions such as ‘mint’ ‘excellent’ and ‘used’ were discussed.

Basically they don’t have any meaning as they are interpreted so subjectively they don’t correspond to any agreed impression of condition.

If assessing remotely follow Danny’s advice about lots of sharp photos, plus photos of the action with the stock off.

For example I bought a late model BSA Mercury which seemed in ‘excellent’ condition from the photos.

However I found that it had suffered the inevitable buffer washer decay AND had some minor marking where it had been placed in a spring-compressor without padding, plus the barrel blueing was faintly but definitely moving towards brown/plum. So to me it was in ‘very good’ condition.

So get a good look at the gun yourself in person. Even boxed and unfired guns can have defects.

To add my tuppence worth, and not necessarily in this order:

1 Condition.

2 Performance, which will reflect the internals and whether they are operating as they should. This will include smooth operation and power - ie whether the rifle is performing in line with the power that this rifle is designed to emit. If it is not, some internal work might be required, including a new spring/washer.

3 Accuracy: some air rifles produce hopeless accuracy for all sorts of reasons. It would be pleasing to see an accuracy target at, say, 20/25yds. No one provides these but it would be really helpful to see this type of information.

4 The secure lock-up for break barrels.

5 Whether the original sights are fully intact.

6 Their rarity value and whether they are still in production. The HW77 can probably be termed a collectible air rifle, even although it is still in production and is not, therefore, rare. By contrast, a Greener air rifle is extremely rare, especially in good internal and external condition.

It would be possible, I think, to provide a grading system along the above lines, perhaps adding to these criteria. Classic cars are graded along similar lines albeit those that appertain to cars. Perhaps I should write an article for Airgun World!

What rifles are likely to be collectible in the near term? Probably the Walther LGV/LGU, which have ceased production, and certain Dianas such as the 280. The Webley Longbow, which ceased production some 20 years ago, has become a much sought after collectible and is difficult to find.

Rgds
    A

I'm with the detailed photos crowd - action out on rifles, describe any defects or upgraded parts, such as sights etc. No surprises

[IMG]DSC03775 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC03776 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC03778 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

Pics of latest buy a Crosman 157

Just got this one .

Last edited by Re01312; 16-01-2024 at 11:07 PM. Reason: add pics

Grading systems for guns have been in use for decades and that is the criteria I use. Notably, almost no guns are Mint by those criteria. Even most new in the box guns are not Mint.

Hsing-ee Grew-up in Dunnoon

Hi,

I lived in Holy Loch from 1969 -1975. That's why I love British air pistols. As a kid I had a Milbro airgun. I noticed you are in Glasgow. My mom and I used to Christmas shop there. Good memories - lovely countryside...

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Not an easy question to answer as much is subjective, such as overuse of the word 'mint'.
    John
    One of my favourite phrases I see in adverts is “mint condition for it’s age”.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    One of my favourite phrases I see in adverts is “mint condition for it’s age”.

Cheers
    Greg
    Yep, I know just what you mean. I remember being shown a Webley air rifle at a fair years ago, which was described as mint on the ticket. It had a huge scratch along one side of the stock and when I questioned this, the seller said "Well, it is old and mint for its age! Needless to say I left it in the rack at that point.
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Grading cllectable guns.

Rarity in my case...

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Re01312 View Post
    Hi,

I lived in Holy Loch from 1969 -1975. That's why I love British air pistols. As a kid I had a Milbro airgun. I noticed you are in Glasgow. My mom and I used to Christmas shop there. Good memories - lovely countryside...
    Hi, I only know Walden from Theroux .. I’m not a native and Glasgow is my 9th or 10th British city, although I do have roots here. I have relatives in Portland Oregon and New York and my mom was born in Chicago.

Milbro was an interesting company, some English gunmakers were encouraged to relocate to Scotland and make Diana guns from the machinery erm ‘relocated’ from Germany after the defeat of the Nazis. That’s why in the U.K. there were ‘Milbro’ Dianas and ‘Originsl’ Dianas.

The company still exists in name but it’s last rifle was the G80, sadly not quite good enough to compete in the fierce springer market of the early 80s..

Must go and see what’s on the site of the old Milbro factory …