Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AI musings

AI musings

Youngsters use AI to write their school essays and dissertations these days.
    They simply ask 'write me a thousand words exploring such and such' and it'll write something which they can use, or tweak and edit.

I tried a few vintage airgun questions on some of the most popular AI programs: ChatGPT and Bard. (this last one is a bit more poetic)
    Unlike searching for something on Google these are not articles written by humans, but auto generated answers by Artificully intelligent programs.

Apparently they only have a knowledge pool going back to 2022 so it might be that anything online before that isn't available to their databases. They often style it out like they know or add filler when they run out of info but it can be interesting.
    Here are a few questions I tried:

Q:write me 2 praragraphs in answer to the question: How useful is the Airgunbbs.com collectibles forum in exploring the history and technical details of vintage airguns?
    ChatGPT
    Airgunbbs.com's collectibles forum serves as an invaluable resource for enthusiasts and collectors passionate about delving into the rich history and intricate technical details of vintage airguns. The platform fosters a vibrant community where members share their extensive knowledge, experiences, and expertise, creating a dynamic space for discussions surrounding the evolution of airgun technology. Users can engage in conversations about the various models, manufacturing processes, and historical contexts, providing a comprehensive exploration of the development and advancements in vintage airguns. The forum's dedicated sections for identification, restoration tips, and user-contributed content further enhance its utility, making it an indispensable hub for those seeking a deeper understanding of the nuanced world of vintage airgun collecting.

Moreover, the Airgunbbs.com collectibles forum offers a unique opportunity for enthusiasts to connect with like-minded individuals, fostering a sense of camaraderie among collectors. The platform enables the exchange of not only factual information but also personal anecdotes and insights, creating a more holistic understanding of vintage airguns. As users share their discoveries, troubleshooting experiences, and restoration projects, the forum becomes a dynamic repository of practical knowledge. This collaborative approach not only benefits individual collectors but also contributes to the preservation and dissemination of the broader history and technical intricacies of vintage airguns for the entire community.

That's quite nice.

Q: Write me a 2 paragraph summery of bell target airgun shooting prior to 1918

BARD
    Bell Target Airgun Shooting: A Pre-1918 Pastime
    Before the roar of rifles and clang of metal on the battlefields of World War I, airgun marksmanship found a quieter expression in the form of bell target shooting. Imagine a world where parks and public spaces echoed with the satisfying "ping" of metal pellets striking designated bells, each hit earning points and fueling friendly competition.

This activity, popular from the mid-19th century until the early 20th, involved skilled marksmen using specialized airguns to target a series of metal bells mounted on stands at varying distances. Accuracy and consistency were key, as each bell's size and distance translated to different point values. This fostered a community of dedicated enthusiasts, honing their skills and sharing techniques while enjoying the outdoors. Bell target shooting offered a wholesome and accessible recreation for all ages, regardless of physical strength or experience, making it a cherished pastime in pre-war times.

Though overshadowed by the grim realities of the Great War, the legacy of bell target shooting lives on in historical records and the occasional vintage airgun, a silent testament to a simpler era of marksmanship and community.

I tried this question on a few AI platforms and they all thought Bell target was literally shooting bells which hung from a frame.

Q: Is it true that Mozart used to shoot in airgun competitions? (of course we know he did:https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....the-airgunner/

ChatGPT
    There is no historical evidence to suggest that Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, the famous Austrian composer, participated in airgun competitions. Mozart was born in 1756 and died in 1791, and airguns as we know them today did not become popular until the 19th century. The first practical and widely used airguns were developed in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

While Mozart did have a keen interest in various activities and hobbies, including billiards and dancing, there is no credible documentation or historical record supporting the claim that he was involved in airgun competitions. It's essential to verify information with reliable sources when exploring historical anecdotes about famous figures.

Incorrect, but maybe its because of the post 2022 info only thing.

User
    Q: write me 3 paragraphs outlining why Germany make such good airguns
    ChatGPT
    Germany is renowned for producing exceptional airguns, and several factors contribute to their reputation for excellence in this field. First and foremost, German engineering is synonymous with precision and attention to detail. The country has a long-standing tradition of manufacturing high-quality firearms, and this expertise has seamlessly translated into the airgun industry. German airgun manufacturers meticulously design and craft their products to exacting standards, ensuring consistent performance, accuracy, and reliability. This commitment to precision engineering sets German airguns apart, making them highly sought after by shooting enthusiasts worldwide.

Another key factor contributing to the success of German airguns is the emphasis on innovation and technological advancements. German manufacturers continually invest in research and development to integrate cutting-edge features into their airguns. Whether it's advanced propulsion systems, sophisticated trigger mechanisms, or innovative materials, German airguns often incorporate the latest technologies to enhance performance and user experience. This dedication to innovation ensures that German airguns remain at the forefront of the industry, appealing to both seasoned shooters and newcomers alike who seek the best in terms of functionality and design.

Furthermore, Germany's stringent quality control measures play a pivotal role in the production of top-notch airguns. German manufacturers adhere to rigorous testing protocols throughout the manufacturing process, from raw materials to the final product. This commitment to quality assurance guarantees that each airgun leaving the production line meets the highest standards. As a result, shooters can trust in the reliability and durability of German airguns, further solidifying the country's reputation for producing some of the finest air rifles and pistols in the world.

Q: write me two paragraphs on the history of the venus waffenwerk?
    ChatGPT
    I'm sorry, but it seems there might be a misunderstanding or confusion in your request. As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, there is no widely known entity or historical reference to "Venus Waffenwerk." It's possible that there could be developments or new information after my last update, or there might be a mistake in the name or context provided.

If you have any specific details or context about Venus Waffenwerk that you'd like me to explore, please provide more information or clarify, and I'll do my best to assist you.

It also didn't know who Frank Clarke, the Venus Waffenwerk or Lincoln Jeffires was but if there databases are ever opened up to include everything on the internet it could be very interesting for vintage airgun research.
    I think for the time being we'll have to carry on being the oracles of vintage airgun knowledge until AI eventually takes over!

User
    Q: write me one paragraph exploring why it is good for you to have an enjoyable hobby
    ChatGPT
    Engaging in an enjoyable hobby is not merely a leisurely pursuit; it serves as a vital component of overall well-being. Embracing a hobby that brings joy and satisfaction provides a respite from the demands of daily life, offering a valuable avenue for relaxation and stress relief. Beyond serving as a pleasurable escape, a fulfilling hobby can contribute significantly to mental and emotional health by fostering a sense of accomplishment and purpose. Whether it's creative expression, physical activity, or intellectual pursuits, dedicating time to a hobby promotes a healthy work-life balance, enhances cognitive abilities, and cultivates a positive mindset. In the tapestry of a well-rounded life, an enjoyable hobby acts as a vibrant thread, weaving moments of happiness, personal growth, and a rejuvenated spirit.

Cheers,
    Matt

From the AI bot at https://ask.writer.com/

Why is the Relum Tornado air rifle the most beautiful and best of all air rifles?

There are several reasons why the Relum Tornado air rifle may be considered the most beautiful and best of all air rifles. Some of these reasons include:

1. Design and Appearance: The Relum Tornado air rifle has a sleek and modern design that is visually appealing. Its wooden stock and metal barrel give it a classic and elegant look. The rifle also has a smooth finish and fine craftsmanship, making it a beautiful and well-crafted piece.

2. Accuracy and Performance: The Relum Tornado air rifle is known for its exceptional accuracy and performance. It has a powerful spring piston system that allows for precise and consistent shots. Its adjustable rear sight and front sight also contribute to its accuracy, making it a favorite among air rifle enthusiasts.

3. Durability and Quality: The Relum Tornado air rifle is made with high-quality materials and built to last. Its sturdy construction and robust design make it a reliable and durable choice for those looking for a long-lasting air rifle.

4. Ease of Use: This air rifle is also easy to use, making it suitable for beginners and experienced shooters alike. It has a smooth cocking mechanism and a comfortable grip, making it easy to handle and shoot with accuracy.

5. Versatility: The Relum Tornado air rifle is versatile and can be used for a variety of purposes, such as target shooting, pest control, and small game hunting. Its adjustable rear sight and front sight allow for different shooting distances, making it a versatile option for different shooting scenarios.

Overall, the Relum Tornado air rifle combines beauty, performance, durability, and versatility, making it a top contender for the title of the most beautiful and best air rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    From the AI bot at https://ask.writer.com/

Why is the Relum Tornado air rifle the most beautiful and best of all air rifles?
    That’s funny. You notice it doesn’t mention anything specific about the Tornado, it could be talking about any traditional air rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    That’s funny. You notice it doesn’t mention anything specific about the Tornado, it could be talking about any traditional air rifle.
    I tried with the Black Fox first, and it was a pretty similar passage.

It seems I spend half my time rooting out AI generated essays handed in by my students. They are fairly easy to spot, because they are so generic. I've also seen camera review sites where after a few paragraphs I realise that the articles are AI generated; inaccurate descriptions, generalisations etc. A year in and it's wearing me down.

Interesting. In a way the Relum question is the best way of testing it. So rather than asking why German airguns are so good, you would ask why they are rubbish and see if it contradicts the question.

My understanding is that the ChatGPT data pool only goes up to 2022, not starts from 2022...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    I get the impression that most of Airgun World is written by AI these days.

The answer to the first question, relating to the forum, is excellent and one would have difficulty trying to improve on this!

Rgds
    A

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Interesting. In a way the Relum question is the best way of testing it. So rather than asking why German airguns are so good, you would ask why they are rubbish and see if it contradicts the question.

My understanding is that the ChatGPT data pool only goes up to 2022, not starts from 2022...
    Ah yes you’re right Danny. Surprising that it said it’s never heard of the Venuswerk or various early air pistol designers…you’d think it’d have a data trawl through the Gallery.

Seems our area of interest is too niche for AI then. Good news for my future video ideas

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    The answer to the first question, relating to the forum, is excellent and one would have difficulty trying to improve on this!

Rgds
    A
    It is surprisingly good

AI is everywhere now. I don’t just tinker with old air pistols. Old cars, clocks, bicycles also fascinate me and always have.
    I bid on a tatty vintage bike rear derailleur last week. Its description definitely AI guff. Two paragraphs of no information and generalisations. Maybe us humans are just doomed :-)

The fact that the AI chatbot lavishes praise on Relum Tornados reassures me that droids are not capable of taking over the world.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    The fact that the AI chatbot lavishes praise on Relum Tornados reassures me that droids are not capable of taking over the world.
    No mention of the Hungarian Swamp Donkey, gritty concentric mainsprings or a shitey trigger.

AI is as gullible as a 15 year old in 1965.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    No mention of the Hungarian Swamp Donkey, gritty concentric mainsprings or a shitey trigger.

AI is as gullible as a 15 year old in 1965.
    We ought to be looking out for A I generated posts on here.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    My lad has been using AI to write programming code for his work and he's very impressed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Bingo. That’s how these large language models work.
    Morally flawed