Thread: I wondered what might have happened to Beeman’s bellows pistol

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

I wondered what might have happened to Beeman’s bellows pistol

There are only two bellows pistols known to exist, and one of these, the one pictured below, has resided in the Beeman collection for many years. With the recent dispersion of the collection, I have been wondering what might happen to the pistol when it came up for auction. I was surprised to find out, more by accident than anything, that it has already been sold. The Rock Island Auction strategy seems to involve releasing the Beeman collection in random bursts and I have found it difficult to keep up with things, so I missed the bellows pistol when it appeared as lot 1370 in the December 9th auction, hidden in a small group of air rifles sandwiched in a large section of unrelated antique firearms. (https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...rel-air-pistol)

Anyway, it sold for $7000, about £5,500, which does not surprise me. I have no idea who lucky new owner is.

This other superb example belongs to a well-known American collector and member of this forum:

The only other example I know of is this copy of above original I made. Given the price that the Beeman pistol realised, this is the closest I am ever going to get to one in my lifetime!

The carving on the grip is very nice…similar price to what those Kuchenreuter’s go for.
    Probably cost effective to make your own, and enjoyable too!

Johns repro here:
    https://youtu.be/a6Ac0c5U1qA

I wonder if Beeman’s one worked?

Cheers,
    Matt

very nice indeed

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post

I wonder if Beeman’s one worked?
    Going back a few years, it was not functioning. Robert Beeman was not a great one for shooting items in his collection and would have been quite happy leaving it as found, so I doubt if it was later restored. He never had a crank handle made for it. Quite a different philosophy to that of the other great collector, Ingvar Alm.

When I made my copy of the second bellows pistol, that pistol was also non-working as it had lost its bellows parchment and was also missing the sear nut. (My apologies to the current owner, who generously provided all the information I needed to make the copy, if it has since been restored!)

Cheers,
    John

Well, I now know who is the new owner of Beeman's pistol, and I am delighted to say that it will be residing in the UK once it has completed the arduous journey across the pond and survived the scrutiny of our border force. I am sure it will be very well looked after and cherished.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Well, I now know who is the new owner of Beeman's pistol, and I am delighted to say that it will be residing in the UK once it has completed the arduous journey across the pond and survived the scrutiny of our border force. I am sure it will be very well looked after and cherished.
    Glad it is coming to the UK, and hopefully will we be able to find out more about it, hope it arrives alright and no trouble with the border force as they can be a pain.

That’s exciting news for the U.K.

I wonder if it’s got any markings?

Matt