Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A bargain?

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    That engraving is beautiful.

On imgur ‘get share links’ copy link and on here click the photo icon and paste the link in there, should work.

We have a theory that Oscar Will outsourced some of his guns to local makers when demand was too high, and his brother sometimes made guns to fulfill Oscar’s orders.
    Some of the Julius Will guns are identical to O.Will catalogue guns and have only hidden JW marks.

Just an idea.

Cheers,
    Matt
    That's an interesting theory. Care to share what the rest of your rifle looks like? I'm curious what changes occurred between SN 1 and 210.

And thanks for the tip on posting images. I copied the URL for the image, pasted it into the window that pops up when I click on the BBS "Insert Image" icon, and still nada. Weird.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulK62 View Post
    And thanks for the tip on posting images. I copied the URL for the image, pasted it into the window that pops up when I click on the BBS "Insert Image" icon, and still nada. Weird.
    I don't know if this is relevant to your problem, but Imgur gives you several types of link to use and I use "Direct Link", which always works for me.

That's an interesting theory. Care to share what the rest of your rifle looks like? I'm curious what changes occurred between SN 1 and 210.

Hi, you can't just copy the url and paste that, it won't work.

the only way it works for me is on a laptop, not a phone.
    You log into your imgur account, if you open 'images' the image opens with a selection of link share options, John uses 'Direct link' I use 'BBCode' click on copy and you can paste that in the 'insert image' box on here.

Alternatively on imgur open 'your posts' open the image and click '...' 'get share links' and again I use 'BBCode' (simply pressing 'copy link' in this process doesn't work, you have to go via 'sharable links'

Hope this helps,
    Matt

It wasn't my airgun, someone contacted me asking about the stamping: https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...akers-Mark-I-D

This was the Kurbelspanner in question, interestingly it seems to have the same engraving as your friends Bugelspanner and your description of the Kurbelspanner pistol.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Are there any pictures of the pistol, and any more pictures of the Bugelspanner? It would be great to make a separate post showing them all together.

The history of the Airguns made by the the different Will brothers is an interesting area of research and we seem to be learning new things all the time.

I'd like to put together a database of the examples of their airguns, along with the markings to see if there is a pattern of development.
    I'm pretty sure the numbers are just batch assembly numbers but you never know, a pattern may emerge.

According to the arms expert in the Zella Mehlis museum in Germany, all the VW records were destroyed by the Allies at the end of the war, and this history is being pieced together by U.S and U.K collectors.

Cheers,
    Matt

Thanks for your help on linking imgur.com images, John and Matt. The problem was I didn't have an Imgur account. Imgur allows anyone to post images with an option to copy a link to it, but the link simply goes to their website -- it won't provide an image-only link until you create an account, which I did, and now all is well (I edited my original post, and now the two bugelspanner photos display properly). I'll start a new post with pics of the two Julius Will guns asap. Thanks again!

P.S. I'm a big fan of your videos, Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    It wasn't my airgun, someone contacted me asking about the stamping: https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...akers-Mark-I-D

This was the Kurbelspanner in question, interestingly it seems to have the same engraving as your friends Bugelspanner and your description of the Kurbelspanner pistol.
    Thanks for the photos, Matt. Wow, that's a much finer example, and a Kurbelspanner no less.
    Last edited by PaulK62; 23-01-2024 at 07:41 AM.

I understand the how amazing this gun is but I really dislike worn nickel plating. Somehow worn bluing seems natural but worn plating becomes difficult for me?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I understand the how amazing this gun is but I really dislike worn nickel plating. Somehow worn bluing seems natural but worn plating becomes difficult for me?
    I agree that worn nickel doesn’t look nice. Something about the contrast of the dark brown steel showing through looks really messy to my eyes. I’ve never been drawn to the WRHP’s with worn nickel finishes. Unfortunately anything that old will generally be a bit flakey…Any that look perfect are often just polished steel.

And then re-nickelled looks too perfect! You can’t win.

Matt