Thread: 7gr wadcutters too light for a springer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

7gr wadcutters too light for a springer?

Have any of you experienced any negative effects from long term use of light pellets in a .177?

Bisley practice are giving an average of 761 FPS / 10.6 FPE

RWS Geco are giving an average of 830 FPS / 10.7 FPE

They’re both cheap and accurate out of my BSA Supersport and I’m liking the fast lock time of the Geco but I’m a bit paranoid about knackering the gun with too light of a pellet.

It is worth noting that a few coils have been taken off the spring, the transfer port opened up to 3mm as I recall and a washer fitted behind the spring. JSB RS now give an average FPE of 11.4 with a maximum of 11.7

Am I over thinking it and should I keep feeding it Geco’s or would Bisleys be the healthier option for the spring/internals etc..

How does the gun feel on fireing the light weight pellets?.
    You say it’s nice and quick,but if there is no slamming going on,I would say it’s ok.
    Les..
    Ps
    I would say useing a over heavy pellet 10.5 grain or more would possibly cause more damage (broken main spring) than using a light weight pellet.

I would say you'll be okay. Much depends on the internal set-up. It's not just the weight per se (although it's a factor), but the release pressure for each pellet. If it doesn't feel harsh to you in any way, I'd carry on.....
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    agree with Tone, they'll be fine... unless you have a huge transfer port that'll be causing the piston to slam. 3mm is perfect, or even on the small side, so carry on and enjoy
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

i used them with no issues

Transfer port

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    agree with Tone, they'll be fine... unless you have a huge transfer port that'll be causing the piston to slam. 3mm is perfect, or even on the small side, so carry on and enjoy
    Will do, I’m sure it was 2mm maximum before having it sorted. Initially it put the power up too much but after shortening the spring it’s settled down nicely. Although it’s a budget gun I’m very pleased with how it shoots so don’t want to have to get it messed with for as long as I can really.

Might order me some more Geco’s..

Springer

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I would say you'll be okay. Much depends on the internal set-up. It's not just the weight per se (although it's a factor), but the release pressure for each pellet. If it doesn't feel harsh to you in any way, I'd carry on.....
    Consider me reassured in that case

Shot cycle

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    How does the gun feel on fireing the light weight pellets?.
    You say it’s nice and quick,but if there is no slamming going on,I would say it’s ok.
    Les..
    Ps
    I would say useing a over heavy pellet 10.5 grain or more would possibly cause more damage (broken main spring) than using a light weight pellet.
    It doesn’t feel as though there’s any slamming going on, definitely a quicker shot cycle but no nasty noises or anything.