Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying air rifles with no photo ID?

Buying air rifles with no photo ID?

Me again.... What photo ID is acceptable for buying Air Rifles from shops? Old fart so I still have a paper driving licence and no passport.

Going to need to jump through hoops to purchase it seems. 1st time this has ever been a problem.

Only item I have with a photo is my Blue Badge.

Thanks.

EDIT: To confuse matters the Air-Arms website says you need a general licence to have a sub 12ft/lbs air rifle in the UK.

Some online shops state proof of age and address and some state it must be photo ID. What is the actual law and what are the shops
    asking for that goes beyond that?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by FOZZD1; Today at 11:02 AM.

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    General Licence everyone has unless it's revoked for criminal behaviour, with Shops their legal requirement is to ensure you are over 18 and not a banned person, they don't have a set way as such they just tend to go to Photo ID as it's the easiest way to verify things and match it to you to keep them legally in the clear should you misuse the Rifle.

What I would say is just call the shop, explain to them what ID you have (not being mean but I'm guessing visually you look over 18) and if its a RFD delivery driver they can probably just work with it to get you cleared.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Quote Originally Posted by FOZZD1 View Post
    Me again.... What photo ID is acceptable for buying Air Rifles from shops? Old fart so I still have a paper driving licence and no passport.

Going to need to jump through hoops to purchase it seems. 1st time this has ever been a problem.

Only item I have with a photo is my Blue Badge.

Thanks.

EDIT: To confuse matters the Air-Arms website says you need a general licence to have a sub 12ft/lbs air rifle in the UK.

Some online shops state proof of age and address and some state it must be photo ID. What is the actual law and what are the shops
    asking for that goes beyond that?

Thanks again.
    If you come into my shop with your blue badge and your paper licence, as long as the names match then its acceptable.

To confuse matters the Air-Arms website says you need a general licence to have a sub 12ft/lbs air rifle in the UK.
    Where did you read that on their site please ?

The only "General licence" in UK shooting are the documents that allow the shooting, for pest control, of certain bird species for specific reasons, because all birds are otherwise legally protected.
    the "General Licences" apply to everyone without needing to get any form of individual licence.

I have never before in my life heard it used as stated by segata,

sub 12airguns are "Firearms deemed not especially dangerous" & require no licence but are still subject to UK Firearm laws.

With ID it's down to the shop but most want proof of your ID & Address, a blue badge is a legally approved photo document, yet a Firearms cert isn't

I'd have thought your blue badge and driving license would be adequate

Just phoned another shop and they said the same because it was over the phone they maybe covering their backs. Going into the shop and being mid 50's
    maybe the better option.

It's a shop in London near Heathrow, 2 shops similar names on the same road.. Not sure if I can mention the shop. Wondering if anyone has had a similar
    experience with the same shop? (Air & BB )

It's a 2+ hour driveeach way but quite a large saving on 3 guns, easily kit them out with silencers and a few CO2 pistols etc... Its almost a £200 saving on the shop
    thats just 40 minutes away which is the next cheapest.

Is it worth driving over 2 hours+ to get refused? Wife has photo ID but credit card is in my name and all the bills are in my name. Lazy utilities companies removing the
    2nd named person on the accounts many years back so many bills dropped off her credit file which has caused issues.

Never had any issues to be rejected for one so any checks will be clear if they started doing that.

Air Arms link: https://www.air-arms.co.uk/news/how-...e-licence.html

Thanks.

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Card shouldn't matter as Mrs and Old Man have brought stuff for me with my License presented.
    When you say the Heathrow shop do you mean thy said yes to the Blue badge or no to it?
    Sometimes with shops its an Assistant taught one thing where a manager may allow another, Gunshop may be worth chatting to as he's going to be the most clued up of any of us being a RFD.
    As to Journey it depends on how it feels to you, if your Comfortable and can maybe make a day of it then the risk is lower but if you're going to suffer discomfort to do it I'd say maybe give it a miss.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

ID

Just phoned another shop and they said the same because it was over the phone they maybe covering their backs. Going into the shop and being mid 50's
    maybe the better option.

It's a shop in London near Heathrow, 2 shops similar names on the same road.. Not sure if I can mention the shop. Wondering if anyone has had a similar
    experience with the same shop? (Air & BB )

It's a 2+ hour driveeach way but quite a large saving on 3 guns, easily kit them out with silencers and a few CO2 pistols etc... Its almost a £200 saving on the shop
    thats just 40 minutes away which is the next cheapest.

Is it worth driving over 2 hours+ to get refused? Wife has photo ID but credit card is in my name and all the bills are in my name. Lazy utilities companies removing the
    2nd named person on the accounts many years back so many bills dropped off her credit file which has caused issues.

Never had any issues to be rejected for one so any checks will be clear if they started doing that.

Air Arms link: https://www.air-arms.co.uk/news/how-...e-licence.html

Thanks.
    I presume this is Just A Shop. Probably anything that has your name and address on, and any photo with your name. That way, they can link you to that address.

It really depends on your local firearms dept as to what they for. In Leicestershire they have asked that the name and address of the purchaser is recorded.
    You must be over 18 of course. If you look young, proof of age will be asked for.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Legally we have to see photo ID. Those that send via a courier etc, are on very sticky grounds.

All transactions for air rifles have to be recorded as name, address.

Even pellets we have to age check now as well

Quote Originally Posted by gunshop View Post
    Legally we have to see photo ID. Those that send via a courier etc, are on very sticky grounds.

That will be me b*ggered then. No passport, still have old paper licence and no cripple sticker

So is an old paper licence and a blue badge with photo and date of birth enough? Paper licence has my name and address and being mid 50's it's
    obvious I am over 18. Blue badge has my photo and my date of birth to match them up.

Issued by an authority not some fake ID that I could easily create on the computer.

Thanks.

I thought the RFD has to satisfy him/herself the person buying the airgun is over 18?

I didn't think photo ID is a 'legal' requirement, just the one that most ask for?

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Finding mixed information, some state just proof of age and others says photo ID?

And them even worse information like the Air-Arms one.

The shops own website contradicts itself, saying a youngster cannot use an airgun unsupervised when under 18 but then states
    a 15 year old can use one unsupervised. Unless I misread it? That appears to contradict the previous comment.

Just phoned them again to make sure we only need a photo driving licence before we get there and they say we need something else.

Thumbs down Photo ID

In the USA you are able to vote in a national election, without a photo ID, if it is a Dumborat run state.