Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Secret Pleasures of the Springer Buff

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

The Secret Pleasures of the Springer Buff

Do springer buffs actually enjoy cocking their guns? Provided the action is smooth and there’s a good ‘crunch’ of sear engagement I think it’s part of the enjoyment, like drawing a bow but without the pain of holding it. When one gets used to a particular rifle the action of cocking loading taking aim and firing can take on a pleasant rhythm a bit like rowing a boat.

What do you all think? Part of the fun or a pain in the arse?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    If the rifle is easy to cock (comparing my Fenman springer to my Sirocco 2000 rammer), if it's hard to cock and after about 10 shots your arm is aching and your joints hurt, then I wouldn't say it was enjoyable, but if you can have a prolonged plinking session without fatigue, then yes it's enjoyable, a nice trigger also helps and not having a barrel that gets in the way of things is another.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Most for me are good fun and fairly enjoyable although there’s been some awkward exceptions.

Namely a Fenman with its Uber short barrel and hernia inducing HE system

The Prosport is also on my list had a few and they can become tiresome especially with bench resting as it always seems a reet faff.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    IMHO it's that rifle that was a bit rough when you bought it and after you've tinkered it's as smooth as silk
    A great feeling
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Most for me are good fun and fairly enjoyable although there’s been some awkward exceptions.

Namely a Fenman with its Uber short barrel and hernia inducing HE system

The Prosport is also on my list had a few and they can become tiresome especially with bench resting as it always seems a reet faff.
    On the flip side the most enjoyable was a little HW30 that I got from Brucieboy on here who had detuned it even further for indoor close range plinking that was little finger cocking absolutely effortless

I moved it on to a certain Mr Tony ‘bloody’ L who affectionately calls it soft cock

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    If the rifle is easy to cock (comparing my Fenman springer to my Sirocco 2000 rammer), if it's hard to cock and after about 10 shots your arm is aching and your joints hurt, then I wouldn't say it was enjoyable, but if you can have a prolonged plinking session without fatigue, then yes it's enjoyable, a nice trigger also helps and not having a barrel that gets in the way of things is another.
    A sub-12 fpe rifle ought not to be hard to cock really. I guess it’s down to efficiency and mechanical advantage. My long stroke old school HW50 is much easier to cock than an HW35 making the same 11fpe. Short barrels are going to be a problem though.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Do springer buffs actually enjoy cocking their guns? Provided the action is smooth and there’s a good ‘crunch’ of sear engagement I think it’s part of the enjoyment, like drawing a bow but without the pain of holding it. When one gets used to a particular rifle the action of cocking loading taking aim and firing can take on a pleasant rhythm a bit like rowing a boat.

What do you all think? Part of the fun or a pain in the arse?
    It's hard to believe that it was 2010 when I posted a thread similar to this one

https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...cocking+spring

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    A sub-12 fpe rifle ought not to be hard to cock really. I guess it’s down to efficiency and mechanical advantage. My long stroke old school HW50 is much easier to cock than an HW35 making the same 11fpe. Short barrels are going to be a problem though.
    You know what them dreaded rammers are like
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    It's hard to believe that it was 2010 when I posted a thread similar to this one

https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...cocking+spring
    I did wonder if I was being original and was actually positing a question that no human had ever placed before. I am humbled.. 14 years too late!

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    You know what them dreaded rammers are like
    Gas is much more stubborn than a coil of wire. The wire will know when to give in but those molecules of nitrogen will just keep on fighting til the click..

I haven’t fired one in years, last time was some BSA .. grouped like a shotgun. A bad one. One format that holds no appeal, along with bolt action 4.4mm repeaters, Rohm revolvers and most pump-ups.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I still say that a sorted 460 is the easiest and smoothest cocking 11 ft/lb springer followed by a sorted 80 they are a pleasure just to load

I know that there are plenty of others not far behind

I find the whole regime of cocking, loading, aiming and firing a smooth shooting springer so therapeutic. As said, the very act of cocking when everything just "whooshes" so sublimely and those sears and detents clickety-click so obediently into place embue that warm, fuzzy glow. And manually feeding that pellet into a single shot springer and feeling the pellet engage the rifling (obviously not a tap loader) is also a much more personal experience. And then the lovely, consistent, controlled pulse of discharge movement a sorted springer shoots with makes it feel part of you. You've invested more in the shot than with a characterless, soulless recoilless gun and want to make each and every shot count even more.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    On the flip side the most enjoyable was a little HW30 that I got from Brucieboy on here who had detuned it even further for indoor close range plinking that was little finger cocking absolutely effortless

I moved it on to a certain Mr Tony ‘bloody’ L who affectionately calls it soft cock
    Yes, it truly is lovely, Nick. Very smooth and easy to shoot all day. Many youngsters have tried it at Boinger Bash events and love it. In some ways, it's almost TOO easy. It was the lovely Rhyslightning who christened it "soft cock".
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I find the whole regime of cocking, loading, aiming and firing a smooth shooting springer so therapeutic. As said, the very act of cocking when everything just "whooshes" so sublimely and those sears and detents clickety-click so obediently into place embue that warm, fuzzy glow. And manually feeding that pellet into a single shot springer and feeling the pellet engage the rifling (obviously not a tap loader) is also a much more personal experience. And then the lovely, consistent, controlled pulse of discharge movement a sorted springer shoots with makes it feel part of you. You've invested more in the shot than with a characterless, soulless recoilless gun and want to make each and every shot count even more.
    Well put.

The Poet Laureate of Boingerdom.

Well put.

The Poet Laureate of Boingerdom.
    Why, thank you, Young Sir.

With a "whoosh" here and a "whiiiisshh" there, and a snickety-snick here with a clickety-click there all culminating in a lovely, boingless thud.