Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Secret Pleasures of the Springer Buff

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yes, it truly is lovely, Nick. Very smooth and easy to shoot all day. Many youngsters have tried it at Boinger Bash events and love it. In some ways, it's almost TOO easy. It was the lovely Rhyslightning who christened it "soft cock".
    Ooops my bad over the naming rights

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Anyone can pfft some air out but it takes a real Gunner to take a hit in the shoulder
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid
    Currently looking for an SMK/BAM B4-4 Rear sight or help modifying current one.
    Wanted Daisy Model 25 or Norica Commando in reasonable condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Do springer buffs actually enjoy cocking their guns? Provided the action is smooth and there’s a good ‘crunch’ of sear engagement I think it’s part of the enjoyment, like drawing a bow but without the pain of holding it. When one gets used to a particular rifle the action of cocking loading taking aim and firing can take on a pleasant rhythm a bit like rowing a boat.

What do you all think? Part of the fun or a pain in the arse?
    I enjoy cocking well set up breakbarrels.
    But the greatest joy of shooting springers is feeling a well balanced piston recoil.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I find the whole regime of cocking, loading, aiming and firing a smooth shooting springer so therapeutic. As said, the very act of cocking when everything just "whooshes" so sublimely and those sears and detents clickety-click so obediently into place embue that warm, fuzzy glow. And manually feeding that pellet into a single shot springer and feeling the pellet engage the rifling (obviously not a tap loader) is also a much more personal experience. And then the lovely, consistent, controlled pulse of discharge movement a sorted springer shoots with makes it feel part of you. You've invested more in the shot than with a characterless, soulless recoilless gun and want to make each and every shot count even more.
    Dear TonyL Sir,

Are you the author of Fifty Shades of Grey? That was so sexully arousing, where is my BSA Magnum 635 for a bit of punishment....

Kind regards to all....

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Dear TonyL Sir,

Are you the author of Fifty Shades of Grey? That was so sexully arousing, where is my BSA Magnum 635 for a bit of punishment....

Kind regards to all....
    More like fifty shades of grey hair
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    More like fifty shades of Long grey hair
    It’s been awhile since I last seen me old mukka Tony ‘bloody’ L but corrected that for you

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Dear TonyL Sir,

Kind regards to all....
    Haha! Thank you; happy to have been of service.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    More like fifty shades of grey hair
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    It’s been awhile since I last seen me old mukka Tony ‘bloody’ L but corrected that for you
    Hee, hee! Cheeky buggers!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    But the greatest joy of shooting springers is feeling a well balanced piston recoil.
    Absolutely. When you get that nice, consistent, smooth "pulse". No twang, no boing, no out of hand thrashing about, with the two way "snap" not really detectable whilst shooting and very little sight picture disturbance? Lovely, isn't it?

Prosport

Most for me are good fun and fairly enjoyable although there’s been some awkward exceptions.

Namely a Fenman with its Uber short barrel and hernia inducing HE system

The Prosport is also on my list had a few and they can become tiresome especially with bench resting as it always seems a reet faff.
    Don't mind the cocking at all, quite enjoyable really. Prosport I find comfy with a shooting glove

One solution regards any fatigue for the springer connoisseur I give you the Browning Airstar

Zero popeye arms after a session but perhaps some ear defenders maybe required

https://youtu.be/V3e9JizlWzs?si=mNgnHrzQ6XVM6BOM

Ps I still actually want one or at least a go on one

Untill fairly recently (couple of years ago) my only break barrel was my BSA Mercury Challenger. Then I finally got a HW98; I'd wanted to get a new break barrel to see how good they are. Well, I have to say when I cocked it I liked it. But the lock up; oh my god! I described it at the time (and still do) as orgasmic. The engineering is deligtful.

Now I have a Pro Elite in the collection which is also lovely to use and a recently aquired HW80k; also lovely. The other break barrels in the collection including the Mercury Challenger are a Umarex M4 which is surprisingly good and a ASI Paratrooper repeater which definitely does what I intended when I got it; takes you right back to the 80s. The smell of it, cocking it, definitely not orgasmic with the wobble although the lockup is reasonable; I mean it works at anyrate!

I much prefer to use a break barrel than underlever although I do have a 97 too.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    One solution regards any fatigue for the springer connoisseur I give you the Browning Airstar

Zero popeye arms after a session but perhaps some ear defenders maybe required

https://youtu.be/V3e9JizlWzs?si=mNgnHrzQ6XVM6BOM

Ps I still actually want one or at least a go on one
    Pity the normal non-electric underlever version of this rifle was never available in the U.K.

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    I want it too, just stood at a range and suddenly the sound of an electric drill causing raising of brows wondering wth you are up to.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid
    Currently looking for an SMK/BAM B4-4 Rear sight or help modifying current one.
    Wanted Daisy Model 25 or Norica Commando in reasonable condition.

Its the smell of a springer i enjoy. It takes me back to the good old days when a bit of dieseling was cool!
    Its a proper aroma (a bit like old cars with carburetors smell like real cars used to)!
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)