Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Secret Pleasures of the Springer Buff

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yep. I do that.

That little Kral should prove a nice little challenge, then. If it's the same action as a few of Neil's, his are proof that they can be made to shoot very sweetly. You'll have to let us know how it goes.

Your description of the noise reminds me of how a friend described the noise of this bike engine at work......."It sounds like a skeleton having a w-nk in a biscuit tin!".
    What was he riding?
    I think I shall set a target of sorting the Kral ( I do have a soft spot for it) then bringing nothing but foreigners to the summer bash. In the meantime all BSAs for springtime.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Hw95l .22

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Do springer buffs actually enjoy cocking their guns? Provided the action is smooth and there’s a good ‘crunch’ of sear engagement I think it’s part of the enjoyment, like drawing a bow but without the pain of holding it. When one gets used to a particular rifle the action of cocking loading taking aim and firing can take on a pleasant rhythm a bit like rowing a boat.

What do you all think? Part of the fun or a pain in the arse?
    MY HW95L with an ARH kit + Vortek seal & GPL-205 Krytox lube is absolutely soundless until the piston latches in the trigger. The barrel with moderator is 15.75", 400 mm long which makes the cocking process easy. The rifle averages 17 FPE with FTT 14.66 gr pellets & sometimes I can shoot MOA at 25 yards BUT not always.

My rifle.

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    [QUOTE=TonyL;8287040]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

Ah, a stethoscope. The next, invaluable tool in the tinkerer's tool box. Great idea.

Maybe future Springer Bashes will see many attendees wearing white coats with said stethoscope at the ready?
    To check on the late night drinkers at dawn?

On subject: I love the sound of the piston travelling through the barrel as you cock the rifle :cool. Not sure how you can describe that ? Whoosh, wizz, wooz ? Shooshzzzz ?
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Yes, that distinctive Castrol R smell, still add egg cup full to my bikes petrol tanks....

Kind regards to all...
    Ooooo......you lucky, lucky man. Also, extremely fortunate are all the people you may ride by who get to experience the glorious whiff for free!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    What was he riding?
    Not for open thread. I'll tell you at The Bash.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

[QUOTE=NewPaul;8287189]

To check on the late night drinkers at dawn?

On subject: I love the sound of the piston travelling through the barrel as you cock the rifle :cool. Not sure how you can describe that ? Whoosh, wizz, wooz ? Shooshzzzz ?
    And don't forget the distinctive sound of the 77/97 when returning the underlever after cocking.

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    [QUOTE=NewPaul;8287189]
    I know what you mean, like when you fit an oiled piston with new rings into a freshly honed cylinder. Goosebumps.

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Yes, that distinctive Castrol R smell, still add egg cup full to my bikes petrol tanks....

Kind regards to all...
    I love the smell of two stroke in the morning!