Thread: Replacing that awful BSA breech pin with a bolt?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Bowkett used the HW system of barrel bolt/locking but didnt use HW componenents. He made an oversize bolt with a flat head instead of a dome and case hardened it. The end of the bolt had a fine thread which screwed into the opposite breech jaws and was locked in position with a flat head screw. The shank of the bolt was slightly shorter than the breech jaw width and the flat head locking screw when screwed into the purpose made case hardened bolt tightened against the jaws.
    All included in a 12 ft/lbs conversion including trigger workover and scope stop for £23.50.Those were the days
    That said I think a new Meteor Super of the era was about £37. It did give a very lightweight full-power springer for those who could not afford a BSF B55. And made and modified in Birmingham England, which meant something in those patriotic times. Only 'traitors' and the wealthy who are loyal to no-one drove BMWs in those days.

The breech bolt thing for BSA was just embarassing when cheap Commie guns like the Haenal, Slavia and Chinese Arrow and most of the Spanish El Gamo and Norica rifles managed to make ends meet while providing an adjustable breech bolt on their break barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    That said I think a new Meteor Super of the era was about £37. It did give a very lightweight full-power springer for those who could not afford a BSF B55.
    The Meteor and Meteor Super of the era was the folded sheet steel and brazed cylinder variety pre-Gamo. The lightweight full power seamless tube version came later post Gamo buyout.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    The Meteor and Meteor Super of the era was the folded sheet steel and brazed cylinder variety pre-Gamo. The lightweight full power seamless tube version came later post Gamo buyout.
    I meant the Bowkett conversion gave a full-power lightweight. Everyone making 12fpe for by the time Gamo made its first Mock-Meteor ..

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I meant the Bowkett conversion gave a full-power lightweight. Everyone making 12fpe for by the time Gamo made its first Mock-Meteor ..
    Sorry. My bad