Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Replacing that awful BSA breech pin with a bolt?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Accepted.

Did (some of) the Theoben rifles employ a very similar latch? I don't have much first hand experience of them, having not owned one. But, from ones I've tried, they seem to have a very solid lock-up. Plus their hex-headed bolts look heavy duty and up the job but, again, I haven't stripped one so know not of the exact design details?.......
    One I handled and shot had the chisel at a very off horizontal angle and grouped appallingly, not something I’d expected from a rifle that cost more than my car .. their QA & QC must be dreadful to have missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    One I handled and shot had the chisel at a very off horizontal angle and grouped appallingly, not something I’d expected from a rifle that cost more than my car .. their QA & QC must be dreadful to have missed that.
    The trigger cage was welded on out of alignment on the Evolution I had.
    Too many airguns!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Noone wants to challenge my preposterous claim??
    I've never had much contact with a Vulcan but I have a Stingray and bits of an Exocet, Explain your findings please.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I'll stick my head out again and claim that the Xocet, with its bolt, is worse than the Vulcan with its pin.
    Sorry, cant comment as I never had an Xocet. I liked the Vulcan well enough but didnt hang on to it for long. Cant remember the reason for parting with it. Probably too many air rifles at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Accepted.

Did (some of) the Theoben rifles employ a very similar latch? I don't have much first hand experience of them, having not owned one. But, from ones I've tried, they seem to have a very solid lock-up. Plus their hex-headed bolts look heavy duty and up the job but, again, I haven't stripped one so know not of the exact design details?.......
    The early Theoben were a right mix of parts. They used both BSA and W&S bits including the BSA cocking link witha bit of plastic sandwiched between two thin plates. I wont mention the problems with them not holding a charge as some may remember that costly episode.

The best way to do this and it give a instant improvement is to make sure the bolt you buy is already going throught a hw99 breech… sorry I had to, I did actually think of this myself as I’ve had a bsa Supersport custom with the bolt but they are finicky and have fine shim washers to get the tension right and aren’t as good as say a hw or webley where you can just set tension and lock it in.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyw1987 View Post
    The best way to do this and it give a instant improvement is to make sure the bolt you buy is already going throught a hw99 breech… sorry I had to, I did actually think of this myself as I’ve had a bsa Supersport custom with the bolt but they are finicky and have fine shim washers to get the tension right and aren’t as good as say a hw or webley where you can just set tension and lock it in.
    I know you did, I bought it off you, I still have it and it's lovely.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The trigger cage was welded on out of alignment on the Evolution I had.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    The early Theoben were a right mix of parts. They used both BSA and W&S bits including the BSA cocking link witha bit of plastic sandwiched between two thin plates. I wont mention the problems with them not holding a charge as some may remember that costly episode.
    Oops.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

I'm going to pick up my conversion on Tuesday and shall try again ! to post some pictures then sometime this week assemble and test.
    Last edited by Dornfelderliebe; 04-03-2024 at 11:11 AM. Reason: correction
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I know you did, I bought it off you, I still have it and it's lovely.
    Yes if only they had standardised that as the lighting setup trigger and all, would of been much better.

Yes if only they had standardised that as the lighting setup trigger and all, would of been much better.
    I've been saying that for years and if they had continually improved on it as well, then it would have given a few other makers a run for their money.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I've been saying that for years and if they had continually improved on it as well, then it would have given a few other makers a run for their money.
    Yep I’m hoping the lightning clx has a good trigger unit fitted…

Yep I’m hoping the lightning clx has a good trigger unit fitted…
    I think it's one of the later Gamo units.

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    I'm going to pick up my conversion on Tuesday and shall try again ! to post some pictures then sometime this week assemble and test.
    Excellent. Hope it pleases.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

P.S.... The more you read about them, the more it would seem that many of the British break barrel designs were a classic case of "snatching defeat from the (breech) jaws of victory".