Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The brilliance of Andrew Lawrence

The brilliance of Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence comes up with this Hy-Score rotary magazine. Looking at these pics of the parts posted on another forum, I can’t even imagine how it works or how you would even think up such a thing?

Last edited by 45flint; 20-02-2024 at 11:48 AM.

Brains

There be some clever people out there.
    Unfortunately I'm not one of them.
    I can't work it out either!
    costalot

USA did some excellent design and engineering in the post war years.

absolute mind boggling excellence.

Has anyone got the language to explain in fairly simple terms how it works in practice? From the drawings it's got me stumped.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Has anyone got the language to explain in fairly simple terms how it works in practice? From the drawings it's got me stumped.
    Do you have one? I think I have heard it described as bumper cars revolving as you twist the loading gate? I can load it and the seeming random holes rotating seem to make little sense? It kind of defies logical explanation? Not sure you can even make a video cause your fingers would always be in the way.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    At a guess, it shows one hole for loading, so you put a pellet in and turn until the next chamber is in place. After firing a shot you turn the cap a full turn and the cam shifts another tube into place ready for firing. the spring at the bottom pushes it up. I'm guessing that the 7th tube, the red one is to show when you have fired off the 6 shots and need to reload.
    Last edited by ggggr; 21-02-2024 at 08:40 AM. Reason: double "you" taken out
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

I receive monthly emails from the Engine Forum. 2 recent topics have been the 5 Stroke Engine and the Pendulum Engine ( with curved cylinders ). Consequently I feel quite at home, here, out of my depth.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

As ggggr says, the tubes containing a pellet each ‘float’. In principle, They are all pushed around by turning the outer section of the mag, and when a ‘tube’ gets to the 6 o’clock position it gets pushed up into line with the bore by the little spring. I guess you use gravity to assist the pellet into the bore, and a gate (figure 4) then closes behind it. Very neat. Still can’t picture it on a gun though. Never seen it before. Doesn’t the patent application have a written description of the operation?

ggggr got it right

Guys

I was just fixing one of these before supper tonight. I shot all the repeaters as single shots.

The loading mechanism is a waste of time effort and money. I collect Hy-score and I consider the loading mechanism to be the weakest point.

I always place my thumb over loading iris to protect myself if the iris does not close completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Re01312 View Post
    Guys

I was just fixing one of these before supper tonight. I shot all the repeaters as single shots.

The loading mechanism is a waste of time effort and money. I collect Hy-score and I consider the loading mechanism to be the weakest point.

I always place my thumb over loading iris to protect myself if the iris does not close completely.
    Randy we need to talk at the Pennsylvania Airgun Show in April! I think your thumb over iris is a bit of over kill? You are inspiring me to make a video loading and shooting a repeater. Can’t argue that single shooting these makes the most sense, I do the same. (Cool Lawrence gave this option) I have heard they can be finicky with modern pellets. The mechanism maybe is a waste of time but still crazy ingenious. Being impractical is kind of indearing? Warm day today iPad and repeater to the range.

Looks like a video was already posted a few months ago, he probably should have closed the iris before loading and only got 4 of the 6 pellets loaded? Doubt a new video would add much.
    https://youtu.be/PMAlTJILRjw?si=J3CMsCm6PVGBmUE1
    Last edited by 45flint; 21-02-2024 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Randy we need to talk at the Pennsylvania Airgun Show in April! I think your thumb over iris is a bit of over kill? You are inspiring me to make a video loading and shooting a repeater. Can’t argue that single shooting these makes the most sense, I do the same. (Cool Lawrence gave this option) I have heard they can be finicky with modern pellets. The mechanism maybe is a waste of time but still crazy ingenious. Being impractical is kind of indearing? Warm day today iPad and repeater to the range.

Looks like a video was already posted a few months ago, he probably should have closed the iris before loading and only got 4 of the 6 pellets loaded? Doubt a new video would add much.
    https://youtu.be/PMAlTJILRjw?si=J3CMsCm6PVGBmUE1
    Thanks all. That helps a bit. This guy also has a stab, which sort of explains how to use it, but not exactly how it works, if you see what I mean?

https://youtu.be/BI8NsEoxkjw
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks all. That helps a bit. This guy also has a stab, which sort of explains how to use it, but not exactly how it works, if you see what I mean?

https://youtu.be/BI8NsEoxkjw
    Some things you have to experience, there has to be some of these over there? The English version at the end started to put them on though I rarely see those. But even having one I can’t explain it, which makes it a cool collectable?

My Phoenix arms Hy-score is a repeater

Guys

My English Hy-score Phoenix Arms is a repeater too. It has same mechanism on the back as my 802R, 803R (5 in 1 barrels), not sure about the 804 will need to look.

The mechanism is brilliant bit of kit but I end up fixing them all the time. Usually they are overloaded with pellets and become jammed. Sometime the circular keeper breaks off and the mechanism jammed, in short I fix them more then I use them.

I own quite a few hy-score the only pistol my Hy-score collection is missing is a boxed 805.

Anybody have an 805 they are will to part with now? I fly to the UK for it.

My wife and I will at the PA show, see you there!

Randall

Which one is the 805?