Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Given an old HW35 - Help required!

Given an old HW35 - Help required!

Hi all. I've just been given an old Weihrauch HW35. I can;t seem to find a serial number anywhere. There are some faint numbers in crayon inside the stock which look like 705498 possibly.

The condition is mixed. barrel seems straight but barrel and action may have been painted in some sort of black coating. stock revarnished at some point. sights bent and need replacing.

I'm looking to get a rough date for it and some suggested next steps as I'd like to get it roughly to something period accurate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pictures are on imgur here: https://imgur.com/a/dDBEmy5

I have 660XXX manufactured 1977 with number lhs end block
    705498 should be ~1979 Weirauch database
    Last edited by Bruno27; 23-02-2024 at 02:38 PM.

Initial thoughts:
    Some HW's had serial numbers on the back of the cylinder block. Others had the serial number on the barrel. If yours is a bitza (made from multiple donors), you could end up with an air rifle without a discernible serial number visible. The barrel is an older one (with a slot cut into the breech block upper face to locate the rear sight and keep it straight), as is the 'ballbag' pistol cap stock. You've not shown the safety configuration, but single sided safety, between 1976 and 1980 IIRC and after that, double sided safety (visible on both sides of the cylinder block). No safety, is obviously pre-1976.
    If it's fitted with a leather piston seal, I'd probably leave it as is (don't go with a steel synthetic seal conversion as it just reduces the operational stroke within the cylinder and adds weight to an already heavy piston). If original, you'll find the spring guide is steel with a cut crucifix formed at the base to locate the spring. They're not the best fitting of guides and you might want to fit custom guides when servicing it, to reduce spring 'twang'.
    Only other thing I'd suggest is check how clean the trigger mechanism is, as they can clog up with dried up original grease from its' manufacture.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Take an angle grinder to it, it's the only way to improve it
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I wish Ian was still here. He hated the hw35 as much as me lol. could this be an import as some imports don't have serial numbers. All hull cartridge imported gun do I think.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    The stocks make excellent gate posts to as perfectly shaped.

I was wondering how long it would take
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    I wish Ian was still here. He hated the hw35 as much as me lol. could this be an import as some imports don't have serial numbers. All hull cartridge imported gun do I think.
    IJ? I think his collection of HW35's was bigger than my entire collection!

I'm sure he'd have had a witty put down for you 35 haters as well.

I've decided, I'm going to bring my '35 to the bash in May; at least it'll keep you guys off my table and give me some elbow room!

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    IJ? I think his collection of HW35's was bigger than my entire collection!

I'm sure he'd have had a witty put down for you 35 haters as well.

I've decided, I'm going to bring my '35 to the bash in May; at least it'll keep you guys off my table and give me some elbow room!
    I shall bring my HW35 customisation tool
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I shall bring my HW35 customisation tool
    I'll bring my baseball bat and attack ferrets

Initial thoughts:
    Some HW's had serial numbers on the back of the cylinder block. Others had the serial number on the barrel. If yours is a bitza (made from multiple donors), you could end up with an air rifle without a discernible serial number visible. The barrel is an older one (with a slot cut into the breech block upper face to locate the rear sight and keep it straight), as is the 'ballbag' pistol cap stock. You've not shown the safety configuration, but single sided safety, between 1976 and 1980 IIRC and after that, double sided safety (visible on both sides of the cylinder block). No safety, is obviously pre-1976.
    If it's fitted with a leather piston seal, I'd probably leave it as is (don't go with a steel synthetic seal conversion as it just reduces the operational stroke within the cylinder and adds weight to an already heavy piston). If original, you'll find the spring guide is steel with a cut crucifix formed at the base to locate the spring. They're not the best fitting of guides and you might want to fit custom guides when servicing it, to reduce spring 'twang'.
    Only other thing I'd suggest is check how clean the trigger mechanism is, as they can clog up with dried up original grease from its' manufacture.
    Yes the safety is single sided. that date range matches with the serial number on the stock, so its probably in that range.

Sounds like a new internals kit might be the way to go.

not quite sure what to do about the thick black coating over the action...

Nob!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

I'll bring my baseball bat and attack ferrets
    That's bloody cruel, why attack ferrets with a baseball bat, I know they can be viscous little buggers but do they deserve that.......and who the hells bringing ferrets anyway

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Nob!
    Yes but a nob with taste

The only way to make it shoot like a BSA