Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you give up airguns if a licence was brought in

Air gun licence ? More likely a stealth tax. Saying that the tax payers would foot the costs & any revenue would dissapear in accounts paperwork.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Recently I have been thinking about thinning my airgun collection down to one PCP and one springer.

So I doubt I would keep any airgun if licences were introduced.
    Master Debater

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Anothermiss View Post
    The government and police won't want the sub 12 rifle licenced. They can't actually provide sufficient support to process and police it. Also, it'd mean more people would have the attitude "if need a licence for air rifle, I may as well go full fac" and that's something they'll want to avoid. It's almost like a bit of a compromise.
    I have thought along those lines for years but times seemed to have changed now, why would they bother with an archery licence (so complicated to work out) when there are a lot more calls for airgun licencing or ban

I will be watching the outcome of the crossbow law review with interest as airguns could be next, I am a bit surprised that more don't share my concern.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Because of the incident in London where a suspected stalker was killed by Police Marksman for being armed with a crossbow
    Pete

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    No
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I have thought along those lines for years but times seemed to have changed now, why would they bother with an archery licence (so complicated to work out) when there are a lot more calls for airgun licencing or ban

I will be watching the outcome of the crossbow law review with interest as airguns could be next, I am a bit surprised that more don't share my concern.
    They'd rather us have air rifles than crossbows. I'm surprised it's taken this long for them to go that way with bows as they're far more potent than an air rifle at sub 12

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post

I also agree the crossbow consulation is worrying, which is why I raised the issue. It won't take them long to turn their attention to airguns which would then be an 'anomaly' if crossbows were regulated. It would then affect the industry and the intake of new shooters, which is probably part of the intention.

I would probably apply for a licence but it would depend on the restrictions. I occasionaly shoot FT/HFT at a range, but mainly due to time, only shoot at 6 yards in my garage. Hopefully this would still be allowed, however I know there are restrictions in Scotland on shooting on your property, at least in the garden.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I’ve had a license in Scotland for a while and it’s not like an FAC. The person is licensed not the airguns, the police do come around and check you’ve got safe storage and you have to say where you’ll be using it but that’s it really. It’s a bit of a pain and it’s money out for not much back but that’s all.

I’d prefer if it was the system like in England but as it is it’s not too bad. I don’t think it’s a good use of police time but the precipitating incident was so terrible I can see why the non shooters thought something needed doing. Doesn’t stop baddies popping down to Carlisle or Newcastle and picking up some Chinese airgun but if they get caught they’ll get busted.

In terms of not being able to shoot in the garden, I don’t think I’d do that any more even in England. There’s far too many busybodies around with smartphones who’d see a rifle or pistol and five minutes later you’ve an ARU round for tea.

The one advantage of it is if someone does panic and report you you’ve your certificate as evidence that you’re not some ruffian off to rob a bank or pan in the windows of a bus.

I just wish they’d make the license smaller and on a credit card size bit of plastic like a driving license.

If anything needs a license it’s those drones electric scooters and bikes .., I stayed in Cambridge for a month on a job and it was like the electric version of mad max on two wheels.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 29-02-2024 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    Because of the incident in London where a suspected stalker was killed by Police Marksman for being armed with a crossbow

So this licensing lark stems from the Police not wanting to shoot anyone?

Handguns were banned for political reasons, Tony Blair. Though the Police didn't want the responsibility of licensing another mass murderer.
    BB guns need to be blue or pink, because The Police didn't want to shoot another person who had one in public.

For 50 odd million people on these isles of ours we are pretty well behaved and polite about it. That many million some aren't going to be perfect. They will be wanting to license breathing next.
    Better use of man power and resources would be put to use on mental health and sustance abuse. Maybe if more people were educated to take responsibility for their actions then they might be better to deal with the real world. All forms of shooting can be an excellent educational aid for that. Leaving children to play violent video games endlessly isn't.

Licensing is about control, when the real society issues are too difficult to address.

I had to get one in Scotland because of political showboating, if I hadn't I'd still only be safely using airguns, now I'm safely using shotguns and rimfire and centre fire rifles. Very much doubt I'd have an FAC if it wasn't for the AWL hassle and expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

In terms of not being able to shoot in the garden, I don’t think I’d do that any more even in England. There’s far too many busybodies around with smartphones who’d see a rifle or pistol and five minutes later you’ve an ARU round for tea.
    I agree. I live in England but I only shoot in my garage and not the garden for that reason.

Is shooting at targets indoors on your property a good enough reason to own an airgun in Scotland, or is that restricted too?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyb View Post
    I agree. I live in England but I only shoot in my garage and not the garden for that reason.

Is shooting at targets indoors on your property a good enough reason to own an airgun in Scotland, or is that restricted too?
    I think if you weren’t a member of a club or you didn’t have some other place to shoot a garage would be ok. They’d have to prove it was in some way a danger or a nuisance and a 6 yard range inside a garage us probably the safest airgun range there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyb View Post

Sod that, if I want to shoot in my own back garden I will - and I do, a lot, and crossbows and bows and arrows and slingshots and Sword practice and knife throwing too.
    If you're not breaking the law crack on, I don't give a stuff who videos what.
    Actually, the secret is to communicate with your neighbours and then you won't have a problem.
    I do make concessions, I only shoot airguns with silencers and I don't shoot if the neighbours are out in the garden having tea or similar.

If ever implemented, it would just end up as another form of taxation on the law abiding members of society.
    It would do nothing to stop abuse by the lawless that dwell amongst us.
    It would also do nothing to the lawful unaware, my neighbour has a Webley Mk111 that he uses to frighten the rats under his shed, he belongs to no clubs, or forums and would be blissfuly unaware.
    My wife has been looking after a 80 year old lady who lives on her own for about 16 months and just last month she asked her to help tidy her old potting shed with her and in the process found an old air rifle tucked away in a corner that was her late husbands, he has been passed for 6 years.

As an active club member,I would personally get one, as it would undoubtably be a requirement for membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I think if you weren’t a member of a club or you didn’t have some other place to shoot a garage would be ok. They’d have to prove it was in some way a danger or a nuisance and a 6 yard range inside a garage us probably the safest airgun range there is.
    Thanks. I suppose that's a small comfort! Ideally there won't be any restrictions in England any time soon.