Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New members uptake of BBS

This might raise hackles but it's from my experience. When my lad was in his teens, he was interested in FT/HFT. We went to several clubs and the reception was poor in all but one of those clubs. I was tempted to say to them if this is the way you treat newcomers to the sport, you're not going to attract young people, but I honestly thought they wouldn't care. Lee Valley was the exception but it's a fairly long drive for me. We took up full bore target shooting instead.

While of course there are a huge number of competing interests for kids these days, compared to when I was a lad, most of the clubs that I went to need to do things differently if they want to attract new and young members.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    While of course there are a huge number of competing interests for kids these days
    Motorbikes / cars and girls, in that order
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    In fairness I was in Cars before the Guns, Guns kinda replaced engines as you can fettle more easiley a Gun than an engine with a bust back.
    Will hopefully get back to Cars alongside Guns, maybe fit a rack in the back or go the whole hog and get a shooting brake conversion done.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    Considering the toxic culture prevalent on many online forums, even a lurker will eventually stop logging in.

As far as actually putting rifles in hands and bums on seats, the cultural shift has moved with the money. Only a fine percentage can afford to drive 30 minutes to pay by the hour, to use a rifle once in a blue moon.

The less available the option, the less attractive the option becomes.

I'm still kicking about. Joined at 24 years old and was one of the younger members then, now I'm 48 - damn....

I think from memory there were not a lot of youngsters on here even back then
    Last edited by Jas; 04-03-2024 at 08:19 PM.

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    ...and less than 1% of them are girls.

Considering the recent responses from my thread I started earlier... that 1% seems generous.

That could've also been a knock on effect from when Airguns saw their heyday, gender views would've seen it as a 'Mans' sport and sadly it's still a bit stuck that way, I'm doing my part to help change it though, when I get the 25 done I'll get the Mrs shooting and when she's older I'll get my Niece to try it out if her Dad hasn't already got her into Airsoft.

Many millennials probably wonder if the word 'gun' can be spoken without offending someone .......the extreme PC brigade are having a negative impact for sure.

If you don't live in a country area, or from a shooting family / forces family, I imagine any young person showing an interest in shooting is rather ostracised now ..

The BBC has been doing anti shooting stuff for years, anyone remember the S16 hospital massacre on Holby ????????????

The culture has gone I think largely. In European countries (like we were until recently) shooting seems more widely embraced .......

We are about to ban posting pencil sharpeners by our national mail network, this kinda says a lot _
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post

While of course there are a huge number of competing interests for kids these days, compared to when I was a lad
    Yes, let's be honest what would most youngsters prefer for about a £1000 a nice airgun or a new iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    It seems that the demographic of airgun shooters, or at least the ones that post on here that is mainly composed of the middle aged to late middle age to young Senior people.

Given the heyday of the airgun in the UK was in the 80s & 90s is there going to be a demographic crash in the airgun shooting population?

Can this be predicted from the rate of non-bot BBS new membership registrations?

Is there a graph?
    Next will be my 85th trip around the Sun.

Wink

"While of course there are a huge number of competing interests for kids these days"

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Motorbikes / cars and girls, in that order
    More like Faceache, TikTok and video games; anything that requires minimal conscious thought
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Wink

The younger generation generally don't seem to be interested in active and hands on hobbies and pastimes. It's more about social media, fashion, latest "tech" and general "bling". This forum is quite sensibly mainly assistance and technical (apart from MO and NAG of which I am no longer a part ). A quick look on Faceache shows tha contrast; buzzwords, likes, aimless photos and repeats of hearsay. Annoying having to sort the wheat from the chaff regarding technical queries, advice and discussion. A nuisance for those with experience of the subjects in question, but totally misleading for newcomers to any given field. It's a generational thing and not about to get better soon IMO.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

I wouldn't say it's Millenials per se as the majority are now in their 30s, we did grow up with some air guns and Airsoft proved popular in our generation however this is an age where freetime and money is often very limited.
    Gen Z however Id say does match, they've grown up with social media and every home having some form of gaming device, many have had the Playstation baby sitter treatment so they tend to just stick with what they know and not stray from their comfort zone.
    In 10-20 years the Millenial set will start to show hobbies more so you'll likely see a growth (ok I'm an anomaly but there are definately people my age shooting) as their kids grow up and free up their time, you just may not see forum growth as many do not use them prefferig social media (although those that use the likes of FB will know how much a pain the algorithm is for removing content so you may acctually see forum increase afterall).

If we want the hobby to survive it is important to encourage and try and help where we can, try and encourage ranges to have open days, invite people to perms and never treat a question as being too stupid even if its at the cost of braincells.

Young Mates

I have a load of mates in their early twenties.
    They come round my place to do car repairs, have non-alcoholic drinks and a chat.
    They are all interested in guns.
    I've given them 4 airguns at various times and when I ask them if they've been used they whip out their phones and show me them hanging on their bedroom walls as display pieces.
    They all have Shooting Membership to the UKPSF because they love shooting at each other!
    Yes, they are paintballers.
    So they are well into airgunning, but of a different type.
    costalot

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    It seems that the demographic of airgun shooters, or at least the ones that post on here that is mainly composed of the middle aged to late middle age to young Senior people.

Given the heyday of the airgun in the UK was in the 80s & 90s is there going to be a demographic crash in the airgun shooting population?

Can this be predicted from the rate of non-bot BBS new membership registrations?

Is there a graph?
    I would say the heyday was well before the 80's 90's, though there was definitely a revival in that time. I remember in the 70s, almost every household in our street (at least that we spoke to) had a trusty old springer somewhere, or a Webley senior. They must have been around for years before that, even.

I think back in the 70's & 80's you could shoot in a lot more places. We used to go down to waste ground or local woods. As long as it wasn't in the streets and you made an effort to go out of the way, the police didn't blink an eye.
    You could buy your gun in the Littlewoods or Marshall Ward Catalogue, and pay for it weekly.
    I don't think any of that is the case now.