Thread: Record Jumbo boxed unfired - oval mainspring

Record Jumbo boxed unfired - oval mainspring

Recently, obtained a Record Jumbo boxed unfired. I was drawn to the short thick size of it.
    I have a passion for Concentric air pistols that is the theme of my collection. It is tough finding British concentric air pistols in the USA. This one came from an accomplished America collector, I met online. He a bit more mature than me so he is selling off extra airgun kit. I am always grateful, I feel lucky to enjoy such a wonderful hobby. Glad to have bought this air pistol because mainspring is oval too.

I believe these are more common in the Europe. Anyone else have experience with this air pistol? Be great to hear your experiences, Thanks guys.

Randall

Last edited by Re01312; 06-03-2024 at 01:10 PM.

That’s a nice example of the Deluxe model with the adjustable sights and shaped grips. The basic model has fixed sights and slab grips. They are a very neat and quite simple design.

The cylinder and piston are oval but the spring isn’t, it’s a conventional coil spring.

The biggest problem with these is that the piston seals have a tendency to disintegrate and whilst factory replacements can be found, they are scarce. I have had some success in making leather replacements which seem to work as well as, and sometimes better than, the factory spec. I believe they were originally meant to generate around 280 fps but can be pushed to a little over 310fps.

As well as the Jumbo, FB Record also made the larger Champion. This uses the same concentric barrel and oval piston combination but with a side lever and magazine fed pellet repeater mechanism.

I have a jumbo and champion
    The champion is quote rare as it has the optional match grip on it

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DrGunn View Post
    That’s a nice example of the Deluxe model with the adjustable sights and shaped grips. The basic model has fixed sights and slab grips. They are a very neat and quite simple design.

The cylinder and piston are oval but the spring isn’t, it’s a conventional coil spring.

The biggest problem with these is that the piston seals have a tendency to disintegrate and whilst factory replacements can be found, they are scarce. I have had some success in making leather replacements which seem to work as well as, and sometimes better than, the factory spec. I believe they were originally meant to generate around 280 fps but can be pushed to a little over 310fps.

As well as the Jumbo, FB Record also made the larger Champion. This uses the same concentric barrel and oval piston combination but with a side lever and magazine fed pellet repeater mechanism.
    i recently bought a very simular boxed jumbo.it works fine but to future proof it i bought a very reasonably priced seal kit from Dr Gunn.although i havent had need of it yet i can say its great value and the oval leather piston seal is a work of art and no mean feat of engineering to make the formers for it.every jumbo owner should get one
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 07-03-2024 at 09:25 AM.
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

Topic cotinued . . . .

I will have to get a Champion too. I am looking but tough to find in America. Thanks for sharing I need all the encouragement I can get.

Lots of collectors post here so great to learn from you, folks. Thank you.

Randall

looks very nice