Thread: Collecting Rifle and Pistol Cases

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Collecting Rifle and Pistol Cases

Does anyone do this? I sometimes look at the Bay in a futile search for a nice pistol case, there’s never anything quite right, but there are some lovely items there. Particularly for shotguns, the ‘leg of mutton’ Victorian ones are beautiful, you can imagine Sherlock Holmes carelessly throwing one into the back of a Hansom cab on his way to sort out some cocaine dealer who ripped him off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Does anyone do this? I sometimes look at the Bay in a futile search for a nice pistol case, there’s never anything quite right, but there are some lovely items there. Particularly for shotguns, the ‘leg of mutton’ Victorian ones are beautiful, you can imagine Sherlock Holmes carelessly throwing one into the back of a Hansom cab on his way to sort out some cocaine dealer who ripped him off.
    I look occasionally but a lot of them look like converted cutlery boxes or are either too shallow or too deep. I would rather have a repro original box than a case that doesn't look right. Shame there aren't more of them around like the excellent Webley boxes. I suppose the economics don't work.

I think Mr Holmes' favourite substance was opium? I know people used to drink cocaine liquid 'restorative' fairly routinely in Victorian times. Happy days!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I spend a lot of time looking at cases because I love to case pistols and the occasional rifle. I think this really shows off a great pistol and opens up the search for period accessories. I agree cutlery cases seem to be the go to, but I never found one that really looked right? I mainly have converted wooden pistol cases that match the size needs and then plan the display. English or French both can look good depending on the situation. It takes a lot of time on the bay looking at alternatives. I look at hundreds of them. The last one that really worked was a turn of the century gaming box. It was common here in the states at that time to have a case for parlor games. These will look period but again looked at so many before one stands out. Right now I am working to restore a prewar Webley pistol case that needs a lot of work. That’s a first for me, picking up some leather this week to restore the edge piping. If thats the right word? Saw it on the bay and just had to try to save it, these are almost impossible to obtain in the US.

These Hy-Score cases were both on the bay. Extremely hard to find but I’m contantly looking. I think it has to be a bit of an obsession.

This was a pistol case conversion originally this was custom case made for two PPKs. Found on the bay and gutted it. The wood was just insane curly mahogany?

Last edited by 45flint; 11-03-2024 at 09:42 PM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I think Mr Holmes' favourite substance was opium? I know people used to drink cocaine liquid 'restorative' fairly routinely in Victorian times. Happy days!
    Morphine, cocaine, tobacco, alcohol .. probably a pipe of opium now and then to slow the spinning gears of his great intellect down to prevent overheating. Just your average Victorian chap like you say.

Would have to make do with a cup of tea nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I spend a lot of time looking at cases because I love to case pistols and the occasional rifle. I think this really shows off a great pistol and opens up the search for period accessories. I agree cutlery cases seem to be the go to, but I never found one that really looked right? I mainly have converted wooden pistol cases that match the size needs and then plan the display. English or French both can look good depending on the situation. It takes a lot of time on the bay looking at alternatives. I look at hundreds of them. The last one that really worked was a turn of the century gaming box. It was common here in the states at that time to have a case for parlor games. These will look period but again looked at so many before one stands out. Right now I am working to restore a prewar Webley pistol case that needs a lot of work. That’s a first for me, picking up some leather this week to restore the edge piping. If thats the right word? Say it on the bay and just had to try to save it, these are almost impossible to obtain in the US.

These Hy-Score cases were both on the bay. Extremely hard to find but I’m contantly looking. I think it has to be a bit of an obsession.

This was a pistol case conversion originally this was custom case made for two PPKs. Found on the bay and gutted it. The wood was just insane curly mahogany?
    Great stuff 45! The cases have an aesthetic and a great aura of history, really put the pistols in context. Piping? I don’t know myself, edging maybe? Piping I think is a kind of tubular edge, maybe that’s what you’re getting.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I spend a lot of time looking at cases because I love to case pistols and the occasional rifle. I think this really shows off a great pistol and opens up the search for period accessories. I agree cutlery cases seem to be the go to, but I never found one that really looked right? I mainly have converted wooden pistol cases that match the size needs and then plan the display. English or French both can look good depending on the situation. It takes a lot of time on the bay looking at alternatives. I look at hundreds of them. The last one that really worked was a turn of the century gaming box. It was common here in the states at that time to have a case for parlor games. These will look period but again looked at so many before one stands out. Right now I am working to restore a prewar Webley pistol case that needs a lot of work. That’s a first for me, picking up some leather this week to restore the edge piping. If thats the right word? Saw it on the bay and just had to try to save it, these are almost impossible to obtain in the US.

Hi Steve,

I wouldn't do much more than clean the Webley case to preserve originality. It looks like a nice original example.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Steve,

I wouldn't do much more than clean the Webley case to preserve originality. It looks like a nice original example.

John
    Probably good advice but the absence and tattering of the thin leather trim looks pretty bad. I’m going to look for some thin leather do the needlework and age it. If it doesn’t look right I won’t apply it. The handle in the picture was restored, it had torn off the case when I got it.