Thread: Do the third series Diana 58 “serial numbers” in the tap really make sense

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do the third series Diana 58 “serial numbers” in the tap really make sense

I have 2 third series Diana 58 air rifles and have been doing a bit of research. It is said that the serial number is inside the tap. Below are pics of my tap numbers. The highest number tap number I see in the Gallery is in the 200’s. It is just hard for me to believe that they made this low a number of rifles. Isn’t more likely that these are some kind of batch numbers? The only written article I have on these rifles was written by Larry Hannusch. He says these are serial numbers but he then says that he thinks the rarer Second Series numbers manufactured may be in the thousands? Any thoughts. I guess if these were batch numbers we would have seen ducplicates?

Last edited by 45flint; 16-03-2024 at 01:15 AM.

Hi

I'm afraid your photos didn't make it on to the post.

It's not unknown for rifle makers to put the last two digits of a longer number on components which might be separated (perhaps for blueing after fitting) before final assembly. Do your numbers bear any relation to any other numbers on the rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pusk View Post
    Hi

I'm afraid your photos didn't make it on to the post.

It's not unknown for rifle makers to put the last two digits of a longer number on components which might be separated (perhaps for blueing after fitting) before final assembly. Do your numbers bear any relation to any other numbers on the rifles?
    Pics are there? No other numbers on this model.
    Last edited by 45flint; 16-03-2024 at 10:38 AM.

Yes, pictures are on and great quality too. I can't get at my 58 at the moment, or I would check it.

Judging by the number that have come onto the market and given their likely high survivability/limited production window, I don't find it impossible this is a serial number. I don't know where Larry got the 'thousands made' data. The second series 58 was made for far longer (although guns are very scarce). Remember, these top of the line models were very pricey considering how many cheaper alternatives there were.

Edit: not saying Larry's wrong, only that I haven't seen a figure put on their numbers.
    Last edited by Garvin; 16-03-2024 at 08:11 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Judging by the number that have come onto the market and given their likely high survivability/limited production window, I don't find it impossible this is a serial number. I don't know where Larry got the 'thousands made' data. The second series 58 was made for far longer (although guns are very scarce). Remember, these top of the line models were very pricey considering how many cheaper alternatives there were.

Edit: not saying Larry's wrong, only that I haven't seen a figure put on their numbers.
    If these are serial numbers then these rifles are insanely rare! I’ve seen 4 in my 8 years of collecting. This one arrive this week. It was in great condition and shoots very hard. Going to do a UTube demonstrating the series 2 and the series 3 trigger cocking which gives you dry firing capability. Not sure I know of another spring gun except the Hy-Score pistol which allows this?

Last edited by 45flint; 17-03-2024 at 12:41 AM.