Thread: Holt's Archive - Restricted Access

Holt's Archive - Restricted Access

The other day I was trying to do some research from prior Holt's auctions. When I clicked on their "Archive" link I got the following message:

Access Restricted
    You are not allowed to access this page.
    If you would like to get access, please contact our administrator.

A couple of days after requesting access, I got the following response: "You can purchase our Archive section on our shop."

Sure enough: Access to HOLTS Catalogue Archives - Holts Shop: Browse HOLTS online archive catalogues of every auction from December 2006. Access will be via "My Holts" and will appear as an extra tab once you have logged in. Access to the HOLTS online archives are only available via an individual subscribers "My Holts" account. Simply purchase this service and an email will be sent to HOLTS who will activate your subscription $46

I didn't realize Holts was charging for this service.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck25 View Post
    The other day I was trying to do some research from prior Holt's auctions. When I clicked on their "Archive" link I got the following message:

Access Restricted
    You are not allowed to access this page.
    If you would like to get access, please contact our administrator.

A couple of days after requesting access, I got the following response: "You can purchase our Archive section on our shop."

Sure enough: Access to HOLTS Catalogue Archives - Holts Shop: Browse HOLTS online archive catalogues of every auction from December 2006. Access will be via "My Holts" and will appear as an extra tab once you have logged in. Access to the HOLTS online archives are only available via an individual subscribers "My Holts" account. Simply purchase this service and an email will be sent to HOLTS who will activate your subscription $46

I didn't realize Holts was charging for this service.
    Interesting Bruce Jr. I wonder how long before the auction pics go behind the paywall after the event itself?

Hermann Historica and Rock Island auctions don't seem to bother squeezing more cash out of punters, although I suppose this may change in time. We saved all the Beeman auction pics last year for the gallery, but I haven't decided how to display them yet.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    One of the driving forces for this may be the number of online 'services' that for a fee will provide the descriptions and realised prices from most auctions. This is very useful information to auctioneers and traders for assessing market values. I presume Holts realised that they were missing trick here and decided to join them.

you could be right

Got to pay for their shooting somehow.
    I think they are having to charge as so many other commercial sites don't mind taking their pictures and information to sell on. Such auction historic content has value, and was hard earned. The need for a 'firewall" and all the added software and costs, just means they need to get something from it all.

Hours and hours of fun for £50. Other auction houses may well do the same. Once the extravagant paper catalogues were a nice earner, but they are all on line now.

Wish they didn't feel the need to, but....
    Last edited by Muskett; 03-04-2024 at 01:18 PM.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Im not defending them but all those good photo's take a lot of time & collating & cost, Im not surprised they are charging for archive access, Otherwise they are giving stuff away for anyone else to use & in some cases earn from. I would charge if i was in their shoes.

Kempton Photos and Videos are free

Thanks to John Milewski and Matt. I have to wait for them to be posted on here, to see what I have missed

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Kempton Photos and Videos are free

Thanks to John Milewski and Matt. I have to wait for them to be posted on here, to see what I have missed
    I've been known to miss what's in front of my eyes Binners. More than once, someone has pointed out to me something right in front of me. A boxed Crosman 400 was the last one. I think the condition is known as gun blindness and is especially prevalent at Kempton.
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Holts photographs

Holts photos are a very good quality but with their photos of rifles they seem to have an aversion to photograph the barrel or muzzle end. You could be buying a rifle with a sawn off barrel and no front sight and sometimes the rear sight is missed off too. I don’t know why they do not show the full rifle which would be really useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I've been known to miss what's in front of my eyes Binners. More than once, someone has pointed out to me something right in front of me. A boxed Crosman 400 was the last one. I think the condition is known as gun blindness and is especially prevalent at Kempton.
    Not just ‘ gun blindness ‘, John. I remember asking my wife if she was still ‘ seeing anything ‘ at the Newark antique fairs. Stuff tended to become a bit of a blur.

And I totally agree with Ali’s comment regarding partial photos in Holt’s catalogue.

Wish I was there today and stand missing anything, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .