Thread: BSA Meteor .22 Serial Number

Question BSA Meteor .22 Serial Number

I had no idea how popular or historic the BSA Meteor is. I bought mine new as an upgrade from my Webley Eagle .177 (which I still have). It remains at least as accurate and consistent as I am many years on.
    I noticed quite a following on AirgunBBS and hoped that some body might be able to tell me about it based on the serial number. The rear sight was plastic and turned to cheese (poor chemistry) and the gunsmith I took it to told me “They all do that and no there is no replacement” so I now use a scope which is not the same but at least I get to use it.
    Any insight from the serial number would be welcome, I have singualy failed find anything on the internet.

Serial: I E 8205

Thanks for taking a look

Mark

BSA Meteor .22 Serial Number

Could it be a TE not IE? Meteor MK III .22 & Meteor MK III (Super MK II .22) 1969 - 1973

You need to search What's My BSA & look for TE. Sometimes the stamped letters are confusing.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Hi, Mark,

When you said Webley Eagle did you mean Falcon, made from '62 to '71? Have both myself, reckon the Webley is better made. Think the Meteor was cheaper, hence them selling in millions. Haven't seen a Falcon in .177. The Thrale book says they are scarce compared to the .22.
    Regarding the opens on the Meteor, I've got a (stalled) resto on one of a similar age ('69-73, if the SN is TE), but the sights are fine. I'll be keeping the opens when I get round to the rebuild, but sure I've seen them advertised, or ones that'll fit.

ATB

Bruce
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by Marksman55 View Post
    I had no idea how popular or historic the BSA Meteor is. I bought mine new as an upgrade from my Webley Eagle .177 (which I still have). It remains at least as accurate and consistent as I am many years on.
    I noticed quite a following on AirgunBBS and hoped that some body might be able to tell me about it based on the serial number. The rear sight was plastic and turned to cheese (poor chemistry) and the gunsmith I took it to told me “They all do that and no there is no replacement” so I now use a scope which is not the same but at least I get to use it.
    Any insight from the serial number would be welcome, I have singualy failed find anything on the internet.

Serial: I E 8205

Thanks for taking a look

Mark
    How many holes are on the barrel where the rear sight goes? We have rear sights in stock and if you let me know how many holes or if it has a block of metal sticking up, i can let you know the correct part.

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wil95k View Post
    Could it be a TE not IE? Meteor MK III .22 & Meteor MK III (Super MK II .22) 1969 - 1973
    Sound right time wise but I am sure it is IE. Cant find a way to upload a picture I guess I have to stick it in a Google drive and link it ?

Cheers
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by wil95k View Post
    Here is a picture of what I take to be the serial number: