Thread: MAGTECH primer problems

MAGTECH primer problems

Just spent almost 2 hours loading 50 rounds of .357 mag. Problem after problem with primer feed (Dillon RL450).

I ended up loading the primers by hand. Anyone else had similar problems?

What problems?

primers wouldn't feed and when I investigated I found that the primers were sticking in the feed tube, then every so often it would dump 4 or 5 primers onto the priming arm. At a guess I would say the primer size is not consistent. Some are oversize so are sticking in the tube, others are undersize so just fall out onto the priming arm.

Time to get the Mitotoyu out I think.

Never had the problem using my XL650.

Measurement seems like the logical next step, but also check the primer tube for any residue 👍🏻

Never had the problem with few large primers I've seated in the 650, but I do prime the vast majority of my cases by hand.

I've never had a MagTech primer fail to fire and I've used them exclusively for many years and many thousands of rounds, this alone would make me use them even with your problem feeding them through the tube - just hand prime and carry on.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Now it's funny you should say that. I fired 10x .38 specials last night and had one failure. It seemed to have a healthy dent in the cap, but no bang.

I'd only loaded 10 because I wanted to test the gun with .38 spl rather than .357, mainly because I had feeding problems with the former last week. I initially attributed the feeding to the SWC bullet so had bought a RN mould.

primers

I have found with alot of primer feeders it pays to have 100 or more in the thing,
    keeps a good weight on them , pushing them down the tube and stops jams,