Thread: Cheap scopes vs expensive

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All the above.

I got through, seen through, a fair few scopes over the years. Some scopes just do behave better, don't get fuddled with tricky light conditions, and give that crisp image everyone loves. Most scopes are OK, and unless put next to a cracker most people wouldn't notice the difference. I've try to keep scopes that are excellent for price/build/crispness so long as they have the features I need for a combo.

Couple of examples:

Bushnell Elite, were excellent scopes, a bit like a cost effective Zeiss Conquest. But neither gave low enough parallax for air rifles.
    Simmons WTC were in the 1990's excellent scopes, but don't have enough features and not that bright compared to today.
    I do love a Optima Moonlighter from the 1980's, but glass does age and looking through one now they aren't crazy good...read pretty poor. Once they were the bee's knees.
    The Bushnell Lengend Ultras I have are bright, but, like so many lower mid range scopes, they have pretty narrow and fussy eye boxes especially if you zoom about.

And then do you want to fit a NV Ad-On? The old Mambas and Sidewinders were pretty great for those. However, the Mambas in daylight weren't up to much, and the Sidewinder is one bulky feature rich scope that is hard to justify lugging around when hunting.

Who doesn't like a low mag fixed super glassed crisp scope? Dept of view can be great, and wow super bright. But low mag just can't do pellet on pellet at 35m. Tiny targets demand higher magnification at range.

Lastly, with so many scopes out there it really is difficult to recommend what is "great" this month. When a "great" scope is found the manufacturers either change something or discontinue it.
    Leupold used to be a class act. I'm sure they can still make a great scope, but will charge for it. Vortex is starting to lose its charm. Both seem to be chasing profit rather than just give the best they can. Sadly, they aren't the only ones, and in truth most brands and manufacturers fall into profit before performance eventually. New and sexy isn't always better than do it really well once and stick with keeping it great.

Presently, I have more scopes than rifles, and thats after a clear out. Some scopes are too good to let go of. There is a hobby in scopes.
    Last edited by Muskett; 03-05-2024 at 04:58 PM.