Thread: Modifying scope mounts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    If you're thinking of filing some metal away to give more clearance for the compression tube then the alignment shouldn't be affected. If you are filing the mounts to make them fit a wider rail then I'd suggest you only file the movable sides, that way you'll always have two factory made fixed edges for alignment.

So If I understand correctly; the convex profile of the actual dovetail is too tall, as modern mounts have a flat profile between the clamps so you need a more concave profile ?

I've got a pair of single strap 25mm with a slight concave profile you can have, not a great pic due to the shadow but can be seen compared to the flat of the 30mm,

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Assuming the scenario is as per AB's hypothesis.... I had this with a sharp ace... I just filed a concave section in the centre of their underbelly... and it's defo not a critical dimension, just needs to clear...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Segata is online now Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Yes that's correct, I'm fileing the concave area or taking a dremel grinder to the center of the mount as the sides are fine it seems.
    Thanks AB but I've already got a pile of them, when I first got the Falcon it blew its front sight off (since repaired although a bit messy on second occasion but not tempting fate by grinding to neat edges) and a couple of kind Gents sent me a pile of spares so I've got enough to kit a small arsenal (although once I sort this I will give the surplus to those who need it as doesn't make sense stockpiling them even with multiple rifles).
    Once I finish the Berettas clear coating I'll give it a quick go before the BSAs on the table, guessing with the tolerances then they can be adjusted out when zeroing the scope?
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    Have a look around, forums, etc for a suitable period scope. 4x20 or similar. They usually come with pressed steel mounts that will fit the curved top dovetail on the falcon. my own Falcon came with a strange little 3-7x20 OHTA scope.

Segata is online now Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    One day maybe, Mrs now wants to send my laptop in for repair so budgets probably fully eaten (was a high end machine when new so parts are probably still high end) so it will have to be make my own for now, going to clear coat tonight and then once appointments done tomorrow I'll start work.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    Item number 234231891409 on the bay. £11.49 and it's from our sponsor so you know it will turn up. Got to be better than taking a file to a set of alloy mounts that probably cost way more than that. I say this as somebody with a milling machine and lathe, it just ain't worth the hassle.