Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting to have a go at Ft/Hft

Starting to have a go at Ft/Hft

Hi All

I'm just about ready to have a go a HFT and i am joining the Rough Wedge FT club in January. The gear I have is not ideal i know but if i get into ot who knows? i may have a change round.

Anyway I had a go as a guest at RW on Sunday and had a few real good shots, and a load of crap ones as well.

I am going to be using A MK1 Rapid .177(as I said not ideal)
    4-16x56 Swat (I Know waste of time but all I have got this side of Christmas)
    Lionel has provided me with a single shot tray ( So that the Mag thing out the way) and Got a lovely thumbhole deep forend stock off Stuart Walter.

Got talking to a few of the Lads on Sunday, even had a go with a very nice LG100. (£750 for a scope, better get some over time in)
    Anyway I have been told I could do with a Butt Hook to help steady my VERY unsteady aim.

So were can I get one and how much and will i be able to fit one in place of the butt pad without alering the stock. I liked the look of the older Anshutz type.

Thanks for looking and excuse my rambling on and crap spelling.

ATB
    Karl.
    Daystate X2 .177 Bushnel Legend 5-15x40
    HW25 .177 For my little Lad

woah there tiger!

hft.... butthooks....deep forend stocks I think we need some direction here or else you'll be wasting your time at work.

Rapid with a single shot tray in .177 will be fine, will it group at 45yds, it better had do or you have a sick rapid.
    Your best with a sporter stock, the one you have is fine.
    Scope, it will do, but there are better, budget £150 and you've got a scope that will do the business.
    If you want a single scope to do both, get a bushnell 8-32 with a factory mildot...£400.
    just shoot and enjoy!

Your rig is fine for HFT. Get some practice in at the club, then you may want to try FT later. Make friends and talk to people, I'm sure you'll find HFT will keep you busy for a while, and is great fun.! (you can't use a butt hook for HFT.)

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Paul Hudson Guest
    A lot of people use a butt hook because "everyone else does" .

Believe me - it will not steady your aim. They can actually make things worse if they're not adjusted correctly to suit you, your stance and your style. Save your brass and do some practice. Everyone wobbles on aim. With practice you'll wobble less - and learn to "shoot through" the wobble

Paul.

Did you specifically tell the lads at the club that you are interested in HFT?

The advice you have been given sounds like advice for FT.

As Paul said - even if you do decide to try FT at some point then don't think a hook will solve all your problems - it made mine worse a few years ago and would never use one now. I could never set the gun up for use in all 3 stances with the hook and found that I was twitching the shot a lot of the time. Haven't used one in over 3 years and my shooting is better for it.

The Rapid 17 with single shot tray and Swat scope sounds like a very nice gun for getting into HFT.

Dave.

Paul Hudson Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HotShot
    Haven't used one in over 3 years and my shooting is better for it.
    Dave.
    And all this time the rest of us were convinced that it was pressure from your first-born that had made you improve your shooting

Paul.
    p.s. Good morning Mr Semmens

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hudson
    And all this time the rest of us were convinced that it was pressure from your first-born that had made you improve your shooting

Paul.
    p.s. Good morning Mr Semmens
    Good Morning Mr Hudson.

Pressure - what pressure

Luckily he has faded away - exam pressures I think. He can't stand his old Dad whooping him big style

I will have to start bringing the other two along for a spot of training.

Dave.

Hft Ft

Thanks Lads

As you correctly say I will have no need for a Butt hook for HFT, I am just thinking ahead just in case I get the FT Bug. But if many of you find you don't need a Hook I will keep trying and Like you may find I don't need one.

Cheers
    Karl
    Daystate X2 .177 Bushnel Legend 5-15x40
    HW25 .177 For my little Lad

Of course there's always the new 'Sporter' class at FT - SFT. You can still shoot that competitively without the need to buy an expensive range finding scope.

Andy Calpin and Ian Taylor don't use a butt hook and they don't seem to do too bad

Anston FTC is having it's annual Anston Championships on 15th January. We'll have a full FT course (to BFTA rules) and a full HFT course (to UKAHFT rules) set out on the day so it'll be a good opportunity to try both and see which one suits you best. Plus there'll be food, prizes and trophies and normally a pretty good turnout from the Midlands and North East clubs.

Big Si is offline Great Uncle Bulgaria, Chief Womble
    Paul perhaps you need a butt hook as you shooting seems to have gone down hill since we met i wonder why?

Rgds

Big Si
    Lo there do I see my father. Lo there do I see my mother, and my sisters and my brothers. Lo do I see the line of my people back to its beginning. Lo they do call to me and bid me take my place among them, in the Halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.

Paul Hudson Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Si
    Paul perhaps you need a butt hook as you shooting seems to have gone down hill since we met i wonder why?

Rgds

Big Si
    I think ear-defenders or an ASBO would probably be more appropriate

P.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_scouser
    If you want a single scope to do both, get a bushnell 8-32 with a factory mildot...£400.
    Seconded Andy its the only scope that can be used for both FT and HFT, its a 4-6 week wait to have the mildot ret fitted. If anybody wants one speak to Davestate.

Phil

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    Hi Karl

Rough Wedge is more orientated to FT, and most of the lads shoot Ft rather than HFT. I think the advice they have given you is sound, but I would try to walk before you run, have fun and see which discipline is for you.

Don't forget that Millride isnt far away from Rough Wedge, and although I am not wishing to poach members, we do have a greater variety of both FT and HFT shooters as members. This is reflected in the courses we lay out, as we try to allow shooters the option of shooting prone where possible.

If you want to know more, drop me a mail.

Lee
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

Darren Petts Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolermasterPro
    Seconded Andy its the only scope that can be used for both FT and HFT, its a 4-6 week wait to have the mildot ret fitted. If anybody wants one speak to Davestate.

Phil

Nope - Burris 8-32 will do both without compromise and is IMO a better rangefinder than the Bushnell. I even know where there's a brand new one still languishing on the shelf (or was two weeks ago).

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Petts
    Nope - Burris 8-32 will do both without compromise and is IMO a better rangefinder than the Bushnell. I even know where there's a brand new one still languishing on the shelf (or was two weeks ago).
    \

Really Darren - please, furnish me with details:-)

LeeH

P.S. How soon do you want a 400 breech block?
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.