Thread: BSA Light pattern pellet advice

BSA Light pattern pellet advice

I have one of these in .177. Can anyone please tell me which pellets work best in them? I have just finished off the remains of old tins of Milbro and Bulldog and am half way into a tin of RWS Superdome which seems better.

Ideally I want to use it for relatively close range rabbits, pigeon and vermin.

Many thanks

I would recommend Eley .177 wasps if you can get hold of them. They still seem readily available around here, and are still in the original ELEY tins.
    The .22 pellets however are totally different now and I do not recommend them. Only the .177 in ELEY tins.
    It must say eley on the tin. ie don't buy them if they only say wasp as these are different.

Have also heard the RWS superdomes are very good, however I have not tried them yet. I was lucky enough to buy a good few thousand ELEY wasp .177 and .22(5.56mm for BSA barrels) when I heard that they were changing.

Lakey

PS. The BSA light pattern is fairly under-powered for vermin work, as they only had short cylinders. The gun I would recommend would be the .177 Club Standard, which is a full length 45.5inch .177 gun which is a good bit more powerful than the light pattern at 39.5 inches.
    The Club Standards have the Letters 'CS' infront of the serial number. There is also the later standard No.4 which has the letter 'C' infront of the serial number. That is also a full length .177 model.

hi copperjaket
    Just wondered if you have ever put your bsa light patten over a crono to see what power its doing the one i have is very low on power about 4 ft lbs but i have not done anything to it yet, i use the old eley wasps in mine still a few tins in the shops this way, i buy a couple of tins each time iam in the gunshop so got quite afew myself now.
    JJJJJJ

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    I would be very dubious about using your rifle for vermin work. I would suggest that you try Webley Mosquito Express, purely as a lightweight pellet that works very well in my older .177 rifles.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

The range I want to shoot over is really a maximum of 50' from an upstairs window down on to a newly planted part of the garden. Also inside large sheds where I don't want any misses to damage the roof so the BSA light appeared to me to be ideal.

I also have a 30 year old HW35 which I seem to recall in my youth tweaking having read "the Airgun from Trigger to Muzzle" and splashing out on a tuning kit although I suspect that from the amount of LM2 present I did more harm than good.

I need to get this operational however at present it diesels endlessly and needs sights - I read elsewhere here that a HW77 rear sight would be ideal?

I also have a couple of BSAs, a Meteor and a Mercury I think, also needing a bit of tlc.

Part of the problem with the garden shooting is that there is no really convenient window to use - lack of space, awkward angle etc. A pistol would be ideal but I understand they are unlikely to be powerful enough.

There doesn't appear to be any Gunsmith in Edinburgh who is actively dealing/repairing let alone who would chrono one - any recommendations here or into the Borders please?

Thanks for the advice