Thread: Benjamin 317 peep sight help.

Benjamin 317 peep sight help.

Can anyone tell me if this incomplete rear peepsight is original to the Benjamin Franklin 317 please?
    Is there much chance of me finding a suitable part to replace what is missing?

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q...=Peepsight.jpg

Bump.

Yes, it's original. I show one here:
    http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.co...ealing_21.html

Scroll down. I had to make a new disk as well.

Quote Originally Posted by magicesperanto View Post
    Can anyone tell me if this incomplete rear peepsight is original to the Benjamin Franklin 317 please?
    Is there much chance of me finding a suitable part to replace what is missing?

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q...=Peepsight.jpg
    Nick

From beautiful ruralburbian Philomath
    anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com

Thanks for that, I was a bit puzzled by how it works because the threaded part you can see in my pic rotates freely, so looking at your pics, the whole steel two-part piece unscrews from the brass, is that correct?

Nice job you made, if you fancy making another, give me a price including shipping to UK.

The aperture is one piece, I think it may have originally been brass, but I made mine of steel. But yes, it unscrews from the top sliding part. If the threads in yours are stripped (that is if the piece rotates freely but doesn't unthread) then you'll probably have to fix that first.

Quote Originally Posted by magicesperanto View Post
    Thanks for that, I was a bit puzzled by how it works because the threaded part you can see in my pic rotates freely, so looking at your pics, the whole steel two-part piece unscrews from the brass, is that correct?

Nice job you made, if you fancy making another, give me a price including shipping to UK.
    Nick

From beautiful ruralburbian Philomath
    anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com

Thanks mate, sussed it now with your help.
    Metal bit was just something somebody pushed in, a bit of some sort of tyre valve by the looks of it http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q...rrent=Hole.jpg

Just pulled it out and threads inside the brass look fine.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cartertools View Post
    The aperture is one piece, I think it may have originally been brass, but I made mine of steel. But yes, it unscrews from the top sliding part. If the threads in yours are stripped (that is if the piece rotates freely but doesn't unthread) then you'll probably have to fix that first.
    Nick.......You do some great work!

I am struggling to identify the thread, Nick says “the threads seem to be 3/16"-40.” So what would that be over here?
    I have tried 2 BA, much too coarse.
    A stock screw from an early Meteor is very close, but not correct.
    Any ideas anyone please?

last year i needed to make a very similar aperture for my crossman 331 sight .The thread turned out to be 7/32''x40tpi BSW. I managed to get hold of the tap and dies from Tracey Tools in Torquay. dont know if this can help.