Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HW45 or Alecto?

I'd suggest a Gamo Compact, easier to cock and ligher than the 40/45/Alecto.
    Adjustable grip, nice sights and you can get one from £80 - £90.

Ian
    http://www.dukinfieldagc.org.uk/
    Dukinfield Air Gun Club
    Stockfield Mill, Chadderton, OL9 9EW

Sight

I put a cheap singlepoint sight on top of the HW45 . zeroed it and can hit a 15 yard knock down target more times than i miss offhand . kilty who sold it to me has since bought another . regretting his sale . plus they LOOK like a pistol . luck ??? HOLLY

keep thinking of putting some sort of sight on my 45. been told it makes it even better. any suggestions of what would be a good sort of sight to put on it. would spend 50quid or so.

Nick

I am gonna nick the holo sight off my compound bow and try that . much easier to use and lighter ??? HOLLY

HW45 or Alecto?

This choice faces me right now also,i have tried the HW45 and was very impressed by the way it worked and the quality feel to it.I must admit i like a pistol to look like good too so the HW75 has figured on my mind too....maybe i should just draw lots on a few likely names like the 45 75 Alecto Gamo compact and get on with it,my needs are plinking and informal target shooting after all so i am sure they would all be fine after some practicewillie

i have both in .177.although i like them both they have different characteristics.build quality on the hw45 is sublime,once i took it apart and got the excessive grease out it it shoots great lively but great,
    the alecto makes a great crack sound and is accurate anyway you shoot it,
    i suppose if i was only allowed to have one pistol then i would keep the hw45
    hw100t/mtc viper 4-16x50,,hw100k/nv scope,,hw97k/3-12x44sr6,,hw99s all .177
    hw99s,,bsa supersport,,relum tornado lg15,,all .22
    webley alecto,,hw45,,milbro cougar all .177

hw45

hi.i have a hw45 pistol and there very good.best pistol i have ever owned.once you get used to firing them they are very accurate and powerful.i dont get much time to use mine these days cos im to busy at work.and theres not many places i can go to shoot now so im gonna sell mine.but they are good.

In the end

i decided not to draw lots but try them in the hand,where the Alecto did it for me but some day i have to own a HW45 willie

i'd agree with that the alecto fits in the hand very well,several people who handled mine have remarked on it (cue witty innuendos)
    hw100t/mtc viper 4-16x50,,hw100k/nv scope,,hw97k/3-12x44sr6,,hw99s all .177
    hw99s,,bsa supersport,,relum tornado lg15,,all .22
    webley alecto,,hw45,,milbro cougar all .177

jonezy25 is offline Over 1200 posts and still haven't got one
    the alecto is very accurate, even on full power i was doing well, however the massive let down for me was when it's been pumped, it loses power/air till it's empty, at the rate of about 1 ft/lb per minute, you can't hear it escaping, but i sent mine back three times and they said it wasn't designed to be left cocked for long periods, though i wouldn't call 5 mins a long period, i think all alectos suffer this problem apparently? Love the hw45.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I wouldn't go for either...especially with an 11 year old in mind...

HW45 is too heavy, too large in the frame, poorly weighted (top heavy), it's going to very difficult for an 11 year to cock for himself (part of the fun when supervised), kicks fairly hard and deisels like buggery if you show one a whiff of lube...

Alecto is fairly large too & proabaly too large for a youngsters hands.

HW40 would be better suited IMHO and more accurate than either.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I wouldn't go for either...especially with an 11 year old in mind...

HW45 is too heavy, too large in the frame, poorly weighted (top heavy), it's going to very difficult for an 11 year to cock for himself (part of the fun when supervised), kicks fairly hard and deisels like buggery if you show one a whiff of lube...

Alecto is fairly large too & proabaly too large for a youngsters hands.

HW40 would be better suited IMHO and more accurate than either.
    Absolutely agree, certainly about the 45 and the Alecto only from the grip point of view. I always find it hard to judge grips as an extra large is always tight in my paws.

The HW45 however is excellent all round although some do have a tendancy for muzzle flip in small hands when shot single handed. OVerall though the best.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

I was just asking about these two pistols in another thread, and low and behold, I look further down the board, and there's a thread about them