Thread: Crosman 600 & BSA Magmum Chrono Testing

Crosman 600 & BSA Magmum Chrono Testing

Hello,

Finally got a chance to put my recently acquired Crosman 600 and BSA Magnum air pistols through the SKAN chronograph at my local range on Sunday with the following results:

Crosman 600 Semi-Auto Co2 pistol using the recommended Webley Verminpel .22 flat head pellets which weigh 14.3 grns.

10 shots produced an average muzzle velocity of 360 ft/sec which equates to an average muzzle energy of 4.08 ft/lbs. Lowest muzzle velocity recorded was 358 ft/sec and highest was 364 ft/sec so very little variation.

BSA Magnum spring powered over-lever air pistol using Webley Verminpel .22 flat head pellets weighing 14.3 grns.

10 shots produced an average muzzle velocity of 336 ft/sec which equates to an average muzzle energy of
    3.56 ft/lbs. Lowest muzzle velocity recorded was 335 ft/sec and highest was 340 ft/sec so again very consistent.

BSA Magnum spring powered over-lever air pistol using RWS Hobby .22 flat head pellets weighing 11.9 grns.

10 shots produced an average muzzle velocity of 380 ft/sec which equates to an average muzzle energy of
    3.80 ft/lbs. Lowest muzzle velocity recorded was 379 ft/sec and highest was 386 ft/sec.

I have previously compared the Magnum with my Webley Tempest for accuracy and consistency with very similar results. This was my first use of the Crosman Co2 Semi-Auto however although I do have a .177 Drulov Condor which is much more a dedicated target pistol.

To say the experience was fun would be a great understatement, as I haven't really stopped smiling since and it's now Wednesday. I have put around 150 pellets through the pistol to date without any charging issues or a single jam. The trigger release couldn't be described as crisp, but it is fairly light and consistent which is fine if you get into a release rhythm normally associated with rapid fire shooting.

I found the best method for me to be a sequence of 'double taps' which resulted in most pellets grouping well within the 9 ring on the NSRA AIR 10 Rapid Fire 10 metre target with most landing within 30 mm CtoC. I used the same one handed precision stance I use with the Drulov with very similar results. Each capsule seemed to provide 30 full power shots with a further 5 slightly weaker shots before the usual hiss as the capsule was finally exhausted. Apart from the fun this pistol can provide, I love the ingenious use of the little loading arm which rapidly picks-up each pellet from the 10 shot spring loaded magazine and places it into the breech for each firing.

Something different and well worth getting hold of should the opportunity arise.

Regards

Brian

Really enjoyed reading your thread I am currently saving up for a Crosman 600 this makes me want one or the more! I do have a 240 BSA Magnum and really like it all the best Matt

glad you are enjoying yor pistol.i gave my crosman 600 an outing on Friday and yes they bring on the big grin.the trigger I find has an odd feel but is predictable .its a really great fun pistol and the way it functions is ingenius,cheers..greasemonkey
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

240 magnum power....

Brian,
    Your beesa seems a little low on power. Mine produces 380 - 390 fps with .22 superdomes, and it is box standard.
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Brian,
    Your beesa seems a little low on power. Mine produces 380 - 390 fps with .22 superdomes, and it is box standard.
    Pete.
    Hello Pete,

I'm not really sure what BSA originally quoted for muzzle energy on the BSA Magnum, but anything near 4 ft/lbs is good enough for me at my normal pistol range of 10 metres. I have chronographed my Birmingham and Turkish made .22 Tempests and they both produce around the 3.5 ft/lbs mark which I think is about right.

Regards

Brian

Hi,

Here is a link to a high speed film of the little loading arm on the Crosman 600 going through its paces. The movement is not detectable to the human eye (mine anyway) in normal operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFYaGBfSJkY

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

Here is a link to a high speed film of the little loading arm on the Crosman 600 going through its paces. The movement is not detectable to the human eye (mine anyway) in normal operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFYaGBfSJkY

Regards

Brian
    I read somewhere that if it was full auto, the cyclic rate of fire of a Crosman 600 would be around 2000 rpm! Of course CO2 cooldown would render that impossible to maintain beyond a small number of rounds but it's still an impressive statistic.

I've had my Crosman only a couple of months and it is the best fun ever from a CO2 pistol.

Well worth £200-300 of anyone's money.

As posted elsewhere I have got through 6k pellets and 200 CO2 cartridges and I don't begrudge a penny spent (and there have been a lot).

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello Pete,

I'm not really sure what BSA originally quoted for muzzle energy on the BSA Magnum, but anything near 4 ft/lbs is good enough for me at my normal pistol range of 10 metres. I have chronographed my Birmingham and Turkish made .22 Tempests and they both produce around the 3.5 ft/lbs mark which I think is about right.

Regards

Brian
    Like most airguns, power varies quite a bit from different examples. What matters most is accuracy of course.......Although,
    I am abit of a power freek.!!!! lol.
    Pete.