I've just completed my probationary period at my local club & have started looking out for a rim fire target rifle to get me started in 20 & 50 yard 3 position comp's and then perhaps a bit of bench rest.

So far I've used the club's tired old BSA International's as well as a selection of bolt action & semi auto sport-type guns. All very nice but not really me. I did get to handle, but not shoot, an Anschutz briefly (type 1807 I think). It just felt so right, especially the trigger.

I cannot afford a new gun so I'm on the look out for a second hand item. I'm left handed and my experience with air rifles has taught me not to expect to find anything with a left hand stock or action.

I came across an Anschutz 54 today in a shop. It looked & felt just like the 1807 but the tag said 'Model 54'. The shop was buisy so I wasn't able to quiz the staff about the gun. When I googled it I came across a lot of images which did not look like the gun I had seen in the shop.

It looked like the one in the attached photo.

anschutz2.jpg

Is there more than one type of the model 54?

Is £500 a reasonable price? - It looked mint, the woodwork looked as if it just left the factory and the metalwork looked unmolested. It was fitted with a telescopic site (32x40 I think), but no palm rest or diopter sights. It had a thumbhole stock with height adjustable comb and butt pad (hook was missing).

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I be looking for something else? Is there a huge stock of fantastic used left handed rim fire target rifles out there that I don't know about.

Your pearls of wisdom will be much appreciated. I feel I'm groping around in the dark. Thanks.