Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
Hi Mick
I will have a look through my old mags of AGW that date back to 1977 (I think) to see if I can find out more about JB's mods.
He really knew how to get the best out of an air rifle.

With regard to the leaking taps, my early (Airsporter Mk1's and 2's) with tapered taps seem pretty air tight, but later Airsporters certainly lose power due to air leaks at the parallel tap

I do have a .177 Airsporter S that is the exception and the tap on that gun holds presure very well. It is also nearly 1 ft lb more powerful than my .22 S, that does leak at the tap, so although everything happens very quickly during the firing cycle, leaky taps do mean less power

If you find a solution please let me know
ATB
John

Hi John

You have Email.

I have sent you a copy of the Bowkett file by PDF this gives a good idea of what design the Bowkett head was.

As for the loading tap?

I'm looking at opening out the hole in the tap to 7mm and counterboring the front at 10mm then fitting a top hat made of brass with a 5.5mm bore and using a 10mm OD X 1.5mm cross section O ring in the 10mm counterbore to keep the top hat bush tight when installed.
Any air leaking down the 7mm section of top hat on firing would reach the O ring and expand it slightly so tightening the tap even more.

Apart from that I haven't given it much thought.

All the best Mick