Thread: Pistol choice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    I Disagree, too may people spend their hard earned cash on a nice target pistol, to find out it's a lot harder than it looks. I have always recommended if your interested in target shooting, buy a secondhand HW40/ Gamo Compact both around £90, no there not target pistols, but accurate enough not to get frustrated, good to learn the basics and if you find it's not your cup of tea, you can sell them for the same money you paid for them. IMHO
    Ah, perhaps I should clarify -

My point was that if you're going to spend 170 quid on an Alecto with a view to starting target pistol shooting, then IMHO you'd be way better off spending the same amount on a second hand dedicated target pistol - like the FAS in my following post, or the TAU Mickson suggested. What you have to remember is that the 1 handed stance is compulsory - the grips on the likes of the HW40 aren't really ideal for that, ambi grips in general aren't. Also, if the OP wants to shoot formally, then the Alecto is too big - it doesn't fit within the ISSF dimensions.

I must be in the minority here - I'd MUCH rather enjoy it from the start with the right kit than be uncomfortable with my pistol and be forced to spend even more money on something more suited to the discipline.

Over the years I've seen too many people so put off by their unsuitable pistol and thier perceived inability to shoot well with it that they've just given up on the sport altogether.
    Last edited by Eddiekneejerk; 27-04-2010 at 10:35 AM.