Early BSA and Feinwerkbau 300 rifles are alleged to have been fitted with TWO short mainsprings wound in opposite directions so that on tripping the trigger no disturbing 'torque reaction' would occur.

If this is true, did it actually make any difference?

I have heard tell that 'tunas' in the 1990s also fitted flat needle bearings to the front-end of the spring to allow slipping in a rotational sense rather than allow the spring to twist the rifle one way or another.

I usually polish the ends of the spring till they shine like a new penny, mostly because of being a bit anxious, but partly because with a piece of 600 grit oxide paper, some oil and a flat surface it only takes five minutes so why not? I clean and grease the spring lightly and I have never noticed any torque reaction. Is this because the rifle is much heavier than the spring I wonder? Elseways how do the riders of BMW and Moto Guzzi shaft-drive motorbicycles (that should please Paddy_SP) stay on when they change gear?

Is this torque thing a myth? I have a feeling that even if it is true then a couple of dollops of grease, elbow and moly, will cure it.

What are your thoughts gentlemen? T.R.Robb is selling two-part springs even to this day...