SIII review

I have used a Sightron scope on my 6.5x47 for the last 18 months for mixture of target shooting and long range varmint work . I initially had an SIII with the LRTD (fine cross hair with 0.125MOA dot) reticle which I found excellent for shooting at long range during the day. The limitations of the reticle became obvious to me and I started to miss the aim points of a ballistic reticle offering for long range correction/follow-up shots.

So recently I decided to go for the new SIII with the LRMOA reticle, tactical turrets and in the same mag range (8-32) as well as a 6-24x50 LRMOA for my 17 Remington.

Immediate impressions were that the glass was of the same high quality I expected from the previous scope. The turrets were slightly more 'chunky' with sharper more prominent edging. They are permanently exposed (unlike the target turrets) and are adjusted via a single torque bolt at the top of the turret (instead of 3 sunken grub screws like on the target version). This single top bolt system has both a positive and a negative from my perspective. The negative point being that when you reset the turret there is a chance of rotating the turret as the bolt is slackened thus losing the exact zero point if you're not careful. The flip side is the speed and ease of resetting to zero. By backing off the single torque bolt the turret has immediate freedom to reset to an infinite position of your choosing. The trick is to lightly nip them up lightly to minimise the chances of making this mistake when you have to loosen them. Although the gold labeling on the turrets and zoom ring may not be to everyone's taste it is clear to read.
Tracking is well known to be superb on these scopes. I regularly dial in out to 900 yards and always returns to zero without fault.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...971916-1-1.jpg

The mag zoom ring is smooth and easy to adjust. There is a marker dot on 24x to remind the shooter that on this mag setting the reticle subtension markers represent 2MOA. Incidentally on 32x these markers have a value of 1.5MOA between each line.

The scope comes complete with sunshade, lens cloth, scope bag, lens flip-up covers, MOA reticle subtension info and scope manual.

In the field the scope offers a crisp picture with neutral colours. Not a vibrant colourful picture like a Bushnell 4200 (which we compared it to also) or a Swarovski but rather a flat, neutral colour image with good sharpness which offers a good sight picture in most conditions. I compared the scope to Richness's IOR 9-36 which I thought it stacked up well against. Comparable sharpness and resolution. We weren't able to try them in low light so i can't comment further.
We tested the reticle sub-tensions many times for their practical use in the field.
I will share an example of this now. As a spotter and shooter team my friend dialled in elevation and windage and sent a shot at a target 450 yards away. We both had our SIII's on 24x and I knew the point of his aim through prior conversation. I held my centre dot on his POA. The shot landed right of the target and I could see immediately it was half way to the first windage marker so I called 1MOA adjustment. He dialled (instead of holding off) and sent the next shot which landed centre target.
I have used mine for long range vermin control over the last few weeks. Hold off shots are ideal with this reticle. If the first shot lands off the target due to incorrect windage then holding the centre dot on the target as part of the follow through allows the shooter to quickly measure the correction needed according to the bullet splash and shift the reticle section where the bullet strike was over to the target centre and follow in swiftly (before the wind changes). Nearly all ballistic type rets allow this type of shooting. The MOA reticle also allow you to measure group sizes and change between dialling and hold off techniques for follow up or correction shots.
I was shooting into a snow patch at 890 yards and was clearly able to measure the shot impact spacings using the reticle and also measure any correction needed the same can be done on short grass etc.
If I was being critical I would like to have seen 1 MOA spacing at 24x instead if 2.
The centre dot is a perfect size to offer a blend of precision and visibility in low light.
It is not too large to obscure small vermin or targets and still remains perfectly visible when used in conjunction with a lamp.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...1333971720.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...1333971652.jpg

How does it perform with NV?
I have used the 6-24 with a gen 1 add-on NV unit and IR lamp/filter. With this combination as was able to shoot rabbits out to 180yds.
My friend using a gen 3 add-on and IR laser was very impressed with it and can shoot foxes and rabbits in excess of 200 yards with ease.

The finish on I feel the Sightron SIII range is of good quality and are consistent from scope to scope. I would happily have a third one if I get another CF rifle.

If you want any further info please contact me.

Si