OK, I have my tin hat firmly in place, this is a genuine question, albeit an old one. Trawling through the New 2013 Guidance, I see that the problems of shooting LBP and LBR are still with us, in that unless you have these on your certificate, you cannot shoot them or even handle them, apparently (unless you are at an event run by an RFD for sales purposes, I assume).

From my small parochial viewpoint, it seems that an upsurge in competition shooting with these classes of guns is gaining momentum, I usually see about 40% of the people I shoot with on a weekend in my local small club now shooting LBR/LBP on a regular basis, several now actively competing/about to register, for events such as the Phoenix postal league etc. Many other members are interested, but unable to even try their hand, even if there are approved pistol instructers in direct supervision with them, due to these regs and the grey legal areas. Considering the large range of other calibres available to try under supervision, this is just a nonsense, we hoped the new regs would improve things, but obviously not.

Does anyone out there know if any of the shooting organisations are trying to change this situation? Even if the 'club gun' thing is kept, surely it isn't unreasonable to amend to state that FAC holders could shoot one of these under direct supervision from the registered owner, obviously only at an approved target shooting club?

I know there are a lot of people on here with far more legal knowledge than me, and I am not out to incite any arguments, so if I am talking rubbish, please be civil.