Well, the temptation was too much and I ordered a HW50S from Germany last Tuesday afternoon. It arrived at lunchtime today - very well packaged.

Very pleased with the whole process. I had a bit of trouble setting up an account with them but I think that was at my end. Once set up and the order made, everything went through very smoothly.

I ordered their small kit version which comes with a UK spring, tin of pellets and some targets - all for just 2 euros more than the base price of the rifle. So, not too bad.

I haven't swapped in the 16J spring yet as I am enjoying it with the German spec spring at the moment.

Very easy to cock, although it was a bit of an effort to break the barrel initially for the first few shots, but it's beginning to loosen up a bit now. Light recoil and good groupings straight off. Well pleased.

I know there are some detractors of this model but the example I have received today is a very nice piece.

I got it with Fiber Optic sights for a change and again, happy with that choice.

So, I will play along with it as it is for a bit before opening it up to swap in the bigger spring.

Just as an aside, I went into a local RFD 2 weeks ago (one week before I ordered from Germany) and asked him for a price on a HW99S with Fiber Optic sights and also asked him if he could source me some pellets for my TX in 177. He said he would let me know the following day and wrote my contact details and my requests in his book. I still haven't heard from him and I doubt I ever will, although I hope I do.

Anyway, I am now the proud owner of a very handsome HW50S.