Thread: Phoning police, to inform them your shooting -----er no more

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Phoning police, to inform them your shooting -----er no more

Hi Lads.
    Ill often do 5 nights a week shooting, if its an area where i think some one might phone the police, ill phone it in, this often save me being stopped by the police, or if i am stopped, the quoted log number to them, and their on their way again, keeping their, and my wasted time down to the minimum.
    I shoot in west yorkshire, and north yorkshire.
    Ill start with West Yorkshire police (by this i mean the call centre), Friday, or saturday night's, it will take 8 minutes to get through to them, every time i phone it in i have to go through all my details, as nothing is stored, (unlike their colleagues in north yorkshire), depending on the operator, some want you to re call in when you move from one permission, to start on another (at 8 minutes on hold per time), There latest silly idea is to ask you when you phone it in giving you all your detail's "do you have permission to shoot there", i told them that i was offended by this question, and that if i said yes Farmer Smith own's this land, do you know weather that is true or not, "no we don't" was the reply.

Last night i phoned it in to North Yorkshire police, (which are normally very good) by my mobile number, they know my name address and the vehicle that i shoot from, all they usually ask is where im going to be shooting, start time, and finish time, but no, not last night, "we need details of all the land owners where your going to be shooting", last night i was shooting on five different permission's in North yorkshire, and i din't have all them detail's with me, even if i agreed to give them, this lead to a 10 minute difference of opinion with this operator, when i explained to this operator that there is no legal requirement for me to phone it in in the first place, and that it is a courteous act from me to be doing so, the operator said next time we want all the land owner's details, i said ok, i won't be phoning it in next time.

I have no complaint with the patrolling police, they have a job to do and have alway's been polite when stopping me when out shooting, its these's call centre operators and the rules they seem to come up with, which seem to alter all the time.

Dave (warbucks)
    Last edited by warbucks; 31-08-2015 at 02:37 PM.
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system