Quote Originally Posted by dannywayoflife View Post
Amax are slightly wider than most other bullets. I still don't think that RL17 would be a good match though no matter what quick load says. I found it very inconsistent until using with bullets over 200 grains in the 308. Plus stoaking 50 grains into a 308 is just stoooid it's a 308 it's never going to be a 300wm. Try Wildbore or RS52. RS 52 is a lovley powder in 308 and is very benign it gives very high velocity at lower than normal pressures

Agreed, only suggested it as I thought he might have some or that in extremist that dastardly KennyC could give him a bit to try.

these new powders with the brum rate modifiers throughout the powder grain are the way forward for more velocity, if one is buying a completely new powder RS52 et al are of course the way forward.

i've found Reloder 17 to work well in my 308, albeit with 180 grain bullets. I did get inconsistent results until I tried a firm crimp, guessing your loads were seated quite far out and uncrimped?

very interests to see your comments about the a max, I found that I needed to reduce the charge by a grain and a half compared to 150 grain Speer BTSP loads in my 3006, I think you've just explained why.

if you get a moment would you mind posting your measurements of various bullets for reference Please Danny?