I've dusted off a .177 RWS 45 and had a couple of sessions trying to get reacquainted with it's characteristics. I had this apart over a decade ago and cannot fully recall what I have done on the inside aside of a new ptfe piston head. It may have a new nylon guide n top hat but I can't recall. Anyhow it fires nice enough but I couldn't really get along with it these couple of sessions. I had it's compatriot out the other week in the for m of an Original 50T01. Though the underlever was in .22 and lower powered it was much easier to get reasonable groups with. These two basically share the same power plant in the form of same guide spring and piston set up.
I finally managed to turn in some acceptable groups this afternoon and began to enjoy the gun much better. I shot H&N FTT through it by the way (unless anyone has some suggestions as to an alternative to these)?
Aside of a certain editor of a past sporting air gun mag does anyone have good memories of hunting or using the RWS 45 in the past? What was your take on it? As we know it's basically a Diana 45 in what us basically a 35 stock. I think it looks a tad better than the Diana 45 but I suspect that the Diana stock may handle better?
I'm also debating whether it would be worth my while changing over to a Vortek synthetic head in lieu of the ptfe existing. Anyone got experience of this?
Dave:-(