Quote Originally Posted by Mzee View Post
I'm another aperture sight enthusiast, with four of my little collection fitted with them, a Haenel 311, a Webley Service, and a couple of early BSAs. The aperture is the only sight on the 311 and is very easy to use,as is the one on the Service,and I find them so easy and accurate. However, much to my frustration,I find I can't use the BSA ones (I think they're both 22s) as the rear sight, further along the barrel, blocks my view of the front sight. If I wind the bit with the little aperture up as high as it will go, the front sight is still eclipsed by the rear. Any suggestions please, Gentlemen of the Collectables? Removing the rear sights seems rather drastic, but I just can't see over the top of the things and I would rather like to actually be able to use the old sights, rather than just admire them.
Thanks
Glyn
Hi Glyn,

There are two options. Firstly, have two zero points for the rifle. Short range with the open sight and longer with the aperture. That way, the open sight will not clutter your sight picture when using the aperture. Alternatively if you want to use the aperture for short ranges, you can carefully remove the open sight blade, screw and spring but leave the sight body in place. I would recommend oiling and wrapping these valuable components in greaseproof paper and then storing them behind the butt plate/ plug of your BSA. That way they stay with the rifle.

Best regards,

John