Though I have a HW95, someone else did the tune and its lovely and smooth. I've yet felt the need to strip it. Thank you all for the info.

Why Weihraich decision to do it this way? Well probably cost and how it fits into the number of machined parts and assembly time by an employee. I'm amazed how they have kept to the price we can get them. When all the additional costs are taken out then there really is so little for the actual gun.
Manufacturing is all about the bottom line for every part and the cost of machinery to get that part. All the pennies add up.
I have to say that as a mousetrap its a very good one and delivers in so many ways.

My rifle someone had almost 1/2 the price of the rifle spent on it again to squeeze every bit of perfection out of it. All for a 12ft/lbs springer but it was sort of worth it if you like springers. Was the extra price of the tune worth it? Well the factory offering isn't exactly shoddy for back yard use. I think the tune is more for the fact it can be done and adds just that bit more confidence. Its still a light weight slightly flighty rifle that wants to shoot straight but takes little to throw one out of the group from hold variations.
Standing unsupported it shoots extremely well, well behaved.
Off the bench its not so happy. A heavier rifle would behave better. If you are conscientious you can find a bench rest hold thats repeatable and the results are pellet on pellet. A little too much head weight on the stock is enough to push one out of the group. Head or something, doesn't take much. This is true of so many piston powered air rifles.

Once zeroed and away from the practice targets, in the field mine does the practical very well. I do keep the ranges sensible. Its a joy to carry about.