Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
When Gerald Cardew wrote in Airgunworld about filling the void in a 35 cylinder he mentioned using a vacuum chamber, Tone.
The reason for using a vacuum is that the Loctite may bridge the gap between the cylinder and breech plug and not drop down far enough into the void to fill it.
As the Loctite drops down the cylinder wall towards the void the air pressure in the void will increase slightly and hold the Loctite from fully flooding the void.
By putting the Loctite in the bottom of the cylinder and then applying a vacuum the air is drawn out of the void so when the vacuum is released the Loctite is sucked into the void to fill the gap where the air was.

You may be trying to fill the top groove or both grooves --- who knows ? :-

image.jpg

I've tried solder without success, mainly due to not being able to clean the void well enough coupled with the fact that there's a lot of metal breech end of the cylinder to warm up without damaging the bluing --- Loctite is by far the easiest way of filling the void.

All the best Mick
Brilliant, as ever, Mick, and I remember the reasonings for the vacuum method. Come to think of it, when I did mine, after the "compression" phase, and holding by TP bung in situ, I drew my piston back a little and held for a while. Then compressed again. Not the most comprehensive method, I'm sure, but it did seem to do the trick and it's the one I brought to the last Bash at The Hollow in October '19. 11ft.lbs in .177, so job done, methinks and achieved with that later piston that we did the exchange with. Maybe my leak wasn't as bad as some?

Great that you have tried the solder method and can report. I knew that if someone had tried it it would have been your good self. That'll save plenty of people the hassle of going down that route.