I have a .177cal HW95 that is fitted with a Titan No.8 mainspring and it keeps going hot no matter how much I chop the spring and/or collapse coils. The gun has its standard original HW piston seal fitted, well sized and freely sliding in the comp tube. running with virtually no lube, it does not diesel (just the lightest smear of moly grease on the piston skirt and guides, non on the spring. Lock time is very quick and snappy.

The Titan spring started out at 295mm long and I have chopped it and collapsed coils down to a free length of 192mm (pic here) it has 20 active coils with 2 fully collapsed coils at either end. I have had to pack the spring guide with spacers up to about 4mm of preload...this results in a bouncy shot cycle because of the limited preload, any more and it just runs way too hot again!. I could still cut the collapsed coils off and glean another 12mm off this spring without affecting power (if I pack it back out with slip washers).

Tested at the club this morning it peaked at 805fps with AA fields (4.51) - this was tested on one of those phone chronos...not sure what the make was.

Tested it again when I got home on an F1 chrony before taking it apart...again!

So, the consistency is good but the firing cycle is still bouncy/slammy...

Guys...help me out here please because I have had this 95 apart a dozen times or more chasing this problem and it is pissing me off...is the Titan N0.8 too much spring for the gun?