Offspin if ever but.. we´re all gun nuts i guess so..

For those not in the loop what a Chassepot is, here is my rather rare Chassepot cavalry carbine which is about mint. Made in 1868.

The Chassepot is often regarded as "the worlds first modern rifle" and in essence it´s a single shot bolt action jobbie that uses a paper cartridge of 45 caliber.
They have a rep of shooting far, just not very accurate. Well. I set out to solve that, and did. Since we use what´s known as bore rider boolits for them and they´re since as accurate as any modern rifle just about. Still blackpowder but will take stout loads of Triple 7 or even duplex loads to (blackpowder and smokeless powder mixed). The original cartridge compares to a 45-90 approx, so this thing packs a bit of whallop when asked to.

As i believe i´ve touched upon before we´re allowed to use n shoot these old ´uns sans any FAC or similar. Powder as well as caps and what not is readily available so to use these things to us is just one big "go ahead".

As they use a paper cartridge they seal the chamber via a rubber obturator. In short when the powder goes off that steel "umbrella" there up front gets shoved rearwards which makes that rubber ring swell and thus seal the chamber.
The whole thing actually works very well.

But yeah. That´s what i used Impact springs for from the onset. The OEM hammersprings of these things are after all 150+yr old by now so.. let´s allow them being a bit tired