Hi Chaps, its been a bit of a day.
Bored rigid at being off work and pretty much iced in I decided to change the breach seal on a MKV Meteor that I bought (I think off here) earlier this year. The original seal was crumbling and the gun was starting to shoot erratically. Easy enough job that would take 5 minutes....
The replacement seal from Chambers was of a different harder white material and stood proud of the breach.... shots were going 10" low and I could not adjust the scope any lower. The scope came with another rifle, a Gamo cheap 3-9X32.... it is surprisingly bright.
Anyway I decided to sand a bit off the seal and slowly the shots started to get a little higher. Success however was my downfall. Its about 20 yards across flags to my back stop and even though I was cautious and walking like Bambi my fat ass hit those flags pretty hard-realising no damage had been incurred I had a little laugh-I wasnt even cold in the -6 degrees on the floor as my wife had bought me a new coat... which somehow still had the security tag on! Not wanting to go back to Sainsburys I limped inside and used tin cutters to ease the offending thing off. I now have a ripped lining and blood covered coat, anyway its off now, putting the coat back on I realised my glasses were in the pocket and broken.
No problem cheapo spare glasses on and the finishing touches were put to zeroing the scope, excellent results and for an old Meteor powerful enough to hole a bean can base (with an empty soup can inside as well!) I sat down with a brew in triumph to hear a crunching noise from my trouser pocket-cheapo glasses dead, jeans ripped but family jewels intact.
I have a Mercury kit here but given todays performance I am going to wait unti I have adult supervision before I start that.
Sorry to go on but I almost can't believe it myself.