Daft ideas often need to be realised.

A short while ago I acquired a Tempest in fair condition from Biker Bob (thanks!) and have really enjoyed hitting cola cans at the range when taking a break from the rifle. It's also so quiet that I can get away with it down the side of the house, in my own personal mini range.

As I've been waiting for the cash and impetus to order some nice proper grips from Airgunner, I came across a dodgy looking old target grip on everyone's favourite auction site. The price was so low it was cheaper than buying some timber to make one from scratch.

The grip was covered in putty and in worse condition than the photo. There was a maker's mark on the inside, but I assumed these grips hold very low value considering what I paid.

I chipped away at the awful layers of putty and wood filler, finding some amazing stippling and woodwork going on underneath.

Then, having found the more beautiful grip undernath, I took a hacksaw and hand drill to it.

Fast forward to the end, I now have the biggest daftest most comfortable grip I could imagine on the little plinker.

I still need to painstakingly clean out all the stipples, and maybe work it a little more, but it's solid and mounts using the original grip bolts through the new middle holes.