Hi there,

I am a new member here, and I am hoping to get some advice and information from more experienced air rifle enthusiasts.

I have inherited, from a deceased family member, a BSA air rifle. From the serial number suffix 'EP' I believe this is a 0.177 Mk1 Airsporter S from the 1979 - 1983 period.

I intend to use this rifle for target shooting, as I have always enjoyed this since my days in the Army cadets, where I used to use .202 and .303 rifles for target shooting.

The rifle is in very good condition from what I can see on the outside, but I am not sure what it will be like inside as it has been stored, untouched and unused for many years. I believe it has not been used since the mid 1980's. So that is over 40 years with no use and no maintenance.

Bearing that in mind, what would be the best course of action? Would it be wise to strip the rifle and examine seals and other items that may have degraded over time?

Although I am not an expert with air rifles, I am a retired engineer with access to hand tools and machine tools.

Could anyone lead me to an instruction, or service manual for this gun and recommend any service parts and UK suppliers.

The rifle is also missing the foresight, which screws to the barrel with a single fastener. I have located the foresight screw, the foresight hood and the foresight unit. However the foresight unit is not like the original but is a newer fibre optic type, which needs modifying to fit the hood. I would prefer to get hold of an original foresight, does anyone know of anywhere I would find one?

Thank you in anticipation and best wishes to all.

Kev Ev